EMG fanatics. lets talk emg 85 and 60A pickups.

pelicandeano

• Members

Ok I am no stranger to these but the 60 A is about as alive as any passice or other active pickup I ever heard. Its not narrow like the reg 60. Its less focused and more dynamic and crunchy in a smoother way. Now the 85 is another fave but I figures the 85 would sound fatter and fuller than the 60 A. Anyone else agree ? I will say the 85 smokes but the 60 A is a major overlooked pickup for the bridge. It balances better if you have two ther single colis like SLV OR SA'S .

If you havent tried the 60A in the bridge and you have emgs try this pickup. Its not a neck pickup. The reg 60 is more for that and I prefer the SLV or SV as a single coil

I use these for vintage hard rock and blues tones not metal

• Members

I had a 60A in the bridge of a strat. I recently parted it out and I agree it is a great bridge pickup. I used it along with two SV's and balanced great. Of course for a little more power and hotter sound the 85 works great but if you want more of a traditional humbucker sound go with the 60A. Both pickups will do either well just one does one a little better. I would compare the difference between a Dimarzio PAF PRO(60A) and Breed (85). My 2 cents.

Archived