Gibson SG Ukulele! Weird!

Strings74

• Members

The four-stringed electric instrument you played was really unusual, what was it? (Indiana Daily Student)

It's called a tenor guitar. They were invented so that banjo players could integrate themselves into different bands, because the banjo is a very vociferous and loud instrument, it kind of dominates, so they invented a guitar so that they could blend in.

It's also a great soloing guitar because they can use the upper strings and not have to damper/dampen the lower strings to do solo with; it just kind of makes things easier. They're not really made anymore, there are custom makers who will do it, but for the most part you have to find old ones. There's a company called Haymaker in Phoenix that makes them, they make really, really beautiful guitars. They've made a couple for me. You can find them in guitar stores now, but they're really great, especially if you have really small hands and you're feeling bummed about how not-well you can play a six-string. That's what I actually started playing, my hands are so small, but I can play a six string now. My hands are bigger now, but it took me a couple of years on a tenor. I love them. (Neko Case)

Ani DiFranco plays a Cromwell acoustic tenor guitar.

Archived