Knob Removal Question!

Uze Soap

• Members

I just got some new awesome knobs for my axe but I realized I had glued on the tone knob a year ago because it was stripped and kept falling off. And I used nail glue.

So, I know I acetone would get the glue off, but I don't want to damage the finish. Does anyone know any other way I could get this thing off? I tried using some pliars, but I didn't want to screw up the pots and I couldn't get it off, anyway. I did manage to pull off the actual metal part of the knob, but the plastic inner part that's actually glued on is still stuck.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

And I did a search on this question but couldn't find squat.

• Members

Originally posted by Uze Soap

I just got some new awesome knobs for my axe but I realized I had glued on the tone knob a year ago because it was stripped and kept falling off. And I used nail glue.

So, I know I acetone would get the glue off, but I don't want to damage the finish. Does anyone know any other way I could get this thing off? I tried using some pliars, but I didn't want to screw up the pots and I couldn't get it off, anyway. I did manage to pull off the actual metal part of the knob, but the plastic inner part that's actually glued on is still stuck.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

And I did a search on this question but couldn't find squat.

Try heating the thing up with a hair dryer (use an oven mit or two to protect the finish) or better yet a heat gun. That would be my Plan A.

Plan B. Dremel

Guest Anonymous

This may be awkward, but try placing the guitar upside down and dropping some nail polish remover with an eyedropper or something like that into the knob. If you're careful it won't get on the finish.

• Members

Originally posted by mbr12

This may be awkward, but try placing the guitar upside down and dropping some nail polish remover with an eyedropper or something like that into the knob. If you're careful it won't get on the finish.

Hmm. I thought about carefully trying to use some remover, but I'm skeered. An eyedropper ain't a bad idea, though. Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

I'd propably just change the whole pot.

He'll need to get the knob off before he can remove the pot.

Your best bet is to destroy the knob and remove it that way. I'd probably try a pair of tin snips. There's a good chance you'll also damage the pot when getting the knob off so don't be surprised if you'll have to replace that as well.

Good Luck.

• Members

Originally posted by misterhinkydink

I'd cut the shaft off the pot with a hacksaw blade. Don't worry about saving the pot and don't use solvemts. You'll {censored} it up even more.

Interesting. I'm scared of using solvents anyway, maybe I'll do that. Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

something that's supposed to work is using a plastic bag with handles to pull it off

Oh yeah? You mean, like, wrap it around the knob? I have a feeling I'm gonna end up replacing the pot either way. I hate buying things.

• Members

Originally posted by chevette

wait, if the pot is metal, and the only part still stuck on there is the plastic why don't you just heat something up like metal skewer and melt the plastic off?

Cause I was seeking an alternative solution to putting something hotter than fire on my guitar. But that could work, just sounds messy.

• Members

Cause I was seeking an alternative solution to putting something hotter than fire on my guitar. But that could work, just sounds messy.

If it's a split shaft pot you should be able to work a small jewelers screw driver into the split area to work off the plastic portion .

• Members
Originally posted by nevermind

If it's a split shaft pot you should be able to work a small jewelers screw driver into the split area to work off the plastic portion .

Um, I believe it is. But I don't remember, and I'm still at work. That's a swell idea, though, thanks a lot. :thu:

• Members

Oh yeah? You mean, like, wrap it around the knob? I have a feeling I'm gonna end up replacing the pot either way. I hate buying things.

put the handles underneath the knob on each side and just pull

• Members
Originally posted by onbongos

something that's supposed to work is using a plastic bag with handles to pull it off

Yeah, those plastic grocery bags are what I generally use for the tough ones but since he glued the knob on, I don't think the bags gonna help him much. They're strong but I don't think they're that strong.

• Members

Originally posted by misterhinkydink

I'd cut the shaft off the pot with a hacksaw blade. Don't worry about saving the pot and don't use solvemts. You'll {censored} it up even more.

Damned good idea!

Just be sure and put plenty of masking tape over your finish to prevent major scratching. This sounds like the simplest method.

Archived