2 questions about telecasters and binding!

homestar

• Members

hullo...so i didnt want to start 2 threads so heres a 2 in 1 for you guys...

1) how hard would it be to add binding to a guitar? i mean, to do it right...make it look factory (is this possible? obviously ill have a pro do it)

2) my telecaster plus deluxe with tremsetter weighs a lot more than my old telecaster plus without the trem...odd, thought they were made from the same wood. could it be the trem? i was thinking, if it was possible it added a few pounds to the whole thing...and if that was true, how i can go about making it weigh less

• Members

Originally posted by homestar

hullo...so i didnt want to start 2 threads so heres a 2 in 1 for you guys...

1) how hard would it be to add binding to a guitar? i mean, to do it right...make it look factory (is this possible? obviously ill have a pro do it)

2) my telecaster plus deluxe with tremsetter weighs a lot more than my old telecaster plus without the trem...odd, thought they were made from the same wood. could it be the trem? i was thinking, if it was possible it added a few pounds to the whole thing...and if that was true, how i can go about making it weigh less

1)The Fender factory workers/craftsmen are just regular people with the right tools and knowhow. So really, anyone outside of the factory with the right tools and knowhow could do it as well. If they can build the guitar with binding, I would think it would be possible to add it after it is built.

2)The trem might be adding some weight, but it is probably the wood. Each hunk could weigh in different depending on the amount of moisture or minerials in each piece. Take the Les Paul for instance, I have seen 8 pound LPs and 12 pound ones. Same model guitar, different weights.

• Members

I'm not good with woodworking, but I'd say that routing the edges of a guitar with a finish on it would be dicey, especially if its a poly finish. If you're just going to refin the whole thing, then it's probably not as big a deal. You might look into just getting a new, bound body and selling the old one...might not be a big difference.

• Members

I agree. The Fender craftspeople have the advantage of not yet having applied finish to the body when they route for the binding and put the binding on. Often there is a clearcoat that causes the binding to be part of the guitar, under the clearcoat same as the body. I wrote that confusingly but it should be decipherable!

Short answer: don't plan on getting it done.

I also agree that the wood is more likely to be the explanation for differences in weight, rather the trem. Gibson LP standards are the extreme example of this: they use the same woods but can vary by up to 3 pounds from one to another. (Although 3 pounds is a maximum range, and it would be very unusual for 2 LP standards to actually differ by 3 full pounds.)

• Members

Originally posted by homestar

possible, sure...practical, no. How much are you willing to spend cause its gonna get pricey considering it will need a strip and refin. As previously suggested, an already bound body or perhaps some faux binding would be a cheaper and easier route.

• Members

Another option is to refinish the guitar and create a faux binding. This is accomplished by starting with a base coat of whatever you want the binding color to be, masking that off wherever you want the binding, then spraying on the color coats for whatever color you want the rest of the guitar to be. It can be less expensive (and invasive) than adding real binding and if done correctly it can look incredible.

Here's a picture of a guitar that went through this process. It's owned by a forum member who goes by the name BootRoots.

gldtele1.jpg

• Members

ha ha, I was gonna chime in with that. Don DiMasi aka Shovelhead around here did, the refin and it turned out fantastic. you can't tell its not real binding from a foot away. he even added a bit ofamber tint to the clear coat to give it a bit of an aged look.

I understand he just purchased a new business so I'm not sure how much time that leaves him for guitar work, but I highly recommend him if you are looking to have something like this done.

• Members

Originally posted by BootRoots

ha ha, I was gonna chime in with that. Don DiMasi aka Shovelhead around here did, the refin and it turned out fantastic. you can't tell its not real binding from a foot away. he even added a bit ofamber tint to the clear coat to give it a bit of an aged look.

I understand he just purchased a new business so I'm not sure how much time that leaves him for guitar work, but I highly recommend him if you are looking to have something like this done.

you and your dam beautiful guitar....grrrr

• Members

I was gonna reccommend Shovelhead as well, he did a refin on someone's if (I remember correctly) Gothic Les Paul and added a Faux binding to that as well and it looked awesome.

He does awe insoring work, I was trying to get a buddy of mine to have shovelhead refinish his Tele. He chose to go local. It looks good but I can tell it's now Shovelhead Job.

• Members

Beat ya to it! I just love the look of that guitar so much that whenever someone mentions binding and Teles it's the first thing that pops into my mind. :D In my opinion, you have the best looking Tele on these forums.

• Members

The biggest problem posed by adding binding, once you exclude finish issues, is the fact that the body has a radiused edge that's thicker than your typical binding. If you go multi layer like an LP Custom, you could probably get away with it, but standard Tele Custom style binding won't be possible.

Archived