How is Jimi's tone so fat and boomy on Voodoo Chile?

loofery

• Members

When he opens Voodoo Chile with those trills, I'm always like DAMN i want me a piece of that.

So how does he do it?

Amp?

Guitar?

Settings?

Effects?

Mojo?

:cool::confused::thu:

edit: meant voodoo chile (the long ass song recorded live)

NOT voodoo child slight return, with the wah

• Members

It's obviously a combination of all those things you listed. Ideally, you need a Strat (did he downtune on that song? I can't remember - that'll affect tone as well), and a really {censored}ing loud Marshall, or something similar, and, i assume, a wah with a "vintage voicing." I seriously think a lot of Hendrix's awesome cleans come from simply being really loud. Then obviously there are things like the type of mic's and the desk used to record it.

I mean... are you trying to replicate that one specific sound, or do youjust want a ballpark approximation? There's not actually that much distortion on that track, it's a lot more "amp-y," though i think there are a number of pedals that can get you relatively close to that kind of sound.

• Members

Originally posted by mattburnside

That track was, IIRC, a Fender Bassman cranked to the balls.

O rly?

Wow, thanks for that. I always thought it was a Marshall. Bugger, that's actually quite interesting. Nice one.

• Members

Originally posted by Europa760

i never listened to a jimi hendrix recording and thought big and boomy. i always thought the sound quality on these older albums sucked. and had to assume that it sounded much better in person than it did after they tried to record it.

Jimi has some of the best produced/best sounding albums of that time.

Axis sounds like it was recorded yesterday

• Members

Neither would I usually describe Jimi's sound as boomy, BUT, for the 14:59 long Voodoo Chile (do no confuse with Voodoo Child, Slight Return) he has a fat as hell tone, and with those boomy trills it sounds like he has super fat strings, tuned down.

Any other tips for getting the sound, maybe with a tube amp emulator pedal? Cause I don't have any tube heads over 5w.

• Members

Originally posted by Zappa74

Jimi has some of the best produced/best sounding albums of that time.

Axis sounds like it was recorded yesterday

its mainly all the motown stuff i have that sounds like dog poo poos.

ill agree that i dont mind my hendrix cds.

but i dont remember boomy and stuff either. its probably just "not trebly as hell" like everyone else.

• Members
Originally posted by loofery

Neither would I usually describe Jimi's sound as boomy, BUT, for the 14:59 long Voodoo Chile (do no confuse with Voodoo Child, Slight Return) he has a fat as hell tone, and with those boomy trills it sounds like he has super fat strings, tuned down...

I'm fairly certain he was playing a Gibson for that cut.

• Members

Originally posted by Burgess

I'm fairly certain he was playing a Gibson for that cut.

I always thought that, too. It does sound very Gibson-esque, as opposed to "Slight Return" which says "Strat" to me.

• Members
Originally posted by JDE

I always thought that, too. It does sound very Gibson-esque, as opposed to "Slight Return" which says "Strat" to me.

Yep, it's a fairly classic "woman tone". I think I read somewhere which Gibbie he was playing but my memory fails me.

Archived