Angus Young SG

Slim Jim

• Members

Originally posted by sg love

Yes, squished frets.

I'm referring to the frets from say about 15-24.

Not very roomy.

The other SG's I tried out were only.. marginally better.

The SG I liked the most, was the Les Paul/SG.

Pickguard like the '61, but it was in white, rosewood fretboard and if I remember correctly it was a tad bit heavier than most..

Do SG's really vary that much within their own line?

Okay, I am starting to think this is maybe a troll. Borderline anyway. The fret spacing on ALL the Gibson SGs is the SAME.

As to one being "heavier", do you ever pick up other guitars? Most are made of wood and within wood there can be quite a variation in mass.

-Ron

• Members

Originally posted by Ponec

Okay, I am starting to think this is maybe a troll. Borderline anyway. The fret spacing on ALL the Gibson SGs is the SAME.

As to one being "heavier", do you ever pick up other guitars? Most are made of wood and within wood there can be quite a variation in mass.

-Ron

this thread = teh suck

it is a black hole of knowledge.

• Members

Originally posted by Burningleaves

If I were in your shoes I would buy a used Standard or 61' R.I. if you like where the neck joins the body and smaller pickguard and then have the neck re-shaped by a pro' to the way you want it.

I didn't know you could do that..

-Ron

I don't know what trolling is..

No it's not.

How can that be when the Supreme has 24 frets?

So, if one SG can vary from one to another in weight is it possible that their necks vary too?

• Members

Yes, the Supremes have a couple extra frets but the fret spacing is the same on all the guitars. It has to be on guitars of the same scale length.

I am skeptical due to your list of gear in your signature. The list wouldn't mark you as a rank beginner but your questions reveal a complete lack of understanding of some of the basics of guitars.

Not trying to offend (believe it or not),

-Ron

• Members

Eh.
I did take offense.
So I lack the understanding of the terminology.
Big whoop.
Scale length = the complete length of the neck?

What the hell does my gear have to do with being a beginner?

By the by, I've been playing since I was 14, I'm now 20.
All self-taught with about 3 months of lessons just recently taken for chord vocabulary (jazz style.)

• Members

Originally posted by sg love

Eh.

I did take offense.

So I lack the understanding of the terminology.

Big whoop.

Scale length = the complete length of the neck?

What the hell does my gear have to do with being a beginner?

By the by, I've been playing since I was 14, I'm now 20.

All self-taught with about 3 months of lessons just recently taken for chord vocabulary (jazz style.)

Sorry 'bout that. It is not just "not knowing the terminology" but that you come across as not understanding that a scale length would also indicate that the frets are spaced the same. There is no way two necks of the same scale length will produce one that has frets which are "more squishy" than the other. At least short of a catastophic build failure on one of the guitars anyway.

You have mostly ignored information related to the necks of the LP/SG, '61, and Supremes being the EXACT SAME PROFILE and responding with protestations as to their differences. While this may have been your perceptions, your perceptions were wrong.

I therefore suggest you go back and play the different models a great deal more with a little more open mind. Any differences you perceived may then be dismissed and the path to the best SG for you become more clear.

-Ron

• Members

No, I am merely pointing out that the necks you compared, and said were different, are the SAME neck.

Your feelings are immaterial to reality. If one guitar feels better to you than another, fine. In you first post you state, "I would go standard, but the neck is too rounded for my liking.

I've tried the '61 Reissue and the Supreme and they're only marginally better..

I played a Les Paul/SG and that was what I was looking for."

I am just trying to point out that your "feelings" are wrong and that they are the SAME neck.

You later mention playing a Standard that had a relatively "thin" neck. I quote, "I played a standard over in the city and it didn't have the rounded neck profile that I usually can't stand". Unless it is fairly old or has had it's neck profile changed by someone, this is doubtful.

You say the Supreme has "squished" frets yet the fret spacing on the Supreme is the same as on any other Gibson SG or LP guitar for that matter.

You have been all over the place with your "feelings" that don't quite jibe with reality. I am truly only trying to give some help believe it or not. I guess in the long run I am just trying to impress upon you that the "differences" you seem to find in certain guitars is more in your head than it is in your hands.

No one can help you find a guitar that is "right" for you until those two things come together a little bit more.

-Ron

• Members

No, I am merely pointing out that the necks you compared, and said were different, are the SAME neck.

Your feelings are immaterial to reality. If one guitar feels better to you than another, fine. In you first post you state, "I would go standard, but the neck is too rounded for my liking.

I've tried the '61 Reissue and the Supreme and they're only marginally better..

I played a Les Paul/SG and that was what I was looking for."

I am just trying to point out that your "feelings" are wrong and that they are the SAME neck.

You later mention playing a Standard that had a relatively "thin" neck. I quote, "I played a standard over in the city and it didn't have the rounded neck profile that I usually can't stand". Unless it is fairly old or has had it's neck profile changed by someone, this is doubtful.

You say the Supreme has "squished" frets yet the fret spacing on the Supreme is the same as on any other Gibson SG or LP guitar for that matter.

You have been all over the place with your "feelings" that don't quite jibe with reality. I am truly only trying to give some help believe it or not. I guess in the long run I am just trying to impress upon you that the "differences" you seem to find in certain guitars is more in your head than it is in your hands.

No one can help you find a guitar that is "right" for you until those two things come together a little bit more.

-Ron

And in the meantime, I'm going to suggest you stop taking things so seriously..

Your "help" has been brash and quite rude.

Trying to enforce something upon someone is not a way to help them, but rather hinder their experience, which is what you have been consistently doing.

And the fret spacing on the Supreme cannot be the same on the upper frets.

If it has the same neck as the others with only 22 frets, how can it possibly be the same if it has 24?

Unless the neck is longer?

This really isn't help, this is really just trying to force my feelings.

What exactly would it benefit me to think that an close to $3000 guitar is going to be better than one at half the price?

I wanted the cheaper one to feel better.

It didn't.

So, I dont know what you want me to say here buddy.

Oh, you're right?

I'm sorry, my personal views don't conform to yours?

I'll go out and buy the guitar that didn't feel right to me, but because you've said as such that it should, I'm going to do so?

Cause.. you really don't leave me with much else to say..

And is my question going to be answered?

Since there are no Angus Young SG's available for me to try out, how is that line of necks compared to the others?

Archived