This kook thinks he's brian setzer

voneville

• Members

Originally posted by Rusty G.

I had no idea the guy was that good!

yeah, he's amazing. Just mindblowing. All I really knew of him was the stray cat hits up until about 5 or 6 years ago when I heard his version of sleepwalk. Then I started listening more to his other stuff and it's just amazing. One of the most underrated ever.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarman3001

yeah, he's amazing. Just mindblowing. All I really knew of him was the stray cat hits up until about 5 or 6 years ago when I heard his version of sleepwalk. Then I started listening more to his other stuff and it's just amazing. One of the most underrated ever.

That's the problem with being locked into a novelty act niche (and I love rockabilly, but neo-rockabilly is definatley a novelty act). No one really takes him too serious. I saw him with the Orchestra and was just dumb founded. I stood right there in front and watched his hands the whole show. He's really good at straight up jazz or blues too.

• Members
Originally posted by jerry_picker

He is.
:cool:

Another rockabilly guy who is "that good" is Billy Zoom of X. Just stupid sick good...crosspicking, jazz licks, scales, the whole entomatada.

Billy Zoom should be great, he's been playing since the early 60's! He was actually around for the tail end of real Rockabilly! That dude is old, he's the same age as Ray Manzerek from the doors.

Check out the second Ramonetures Record. It's Billy Zoom and DJ playing with a bunch of Surf rockers doing Instruemental Ventures style versions of X songs. It's awesome.

• Members
Originally posted by voneville

Billy Zoom should be great, he's been playing since the early 60's! He was actually around for the tail end of real Rockabilly! That dude is old, he's the same age as Ray Manzerek from the doors.

Check out the second Ramonetures Record. It's Billy Zoom and DJ playing with a bunch of Surf rockers doing Instruemental Ventures style versions of X songs. It's awesome.

:cool:

Manzarek was born in 1939; Billy Zoom (Ty Kindell) was born in 1948.

Kindell did start playing a guitar in the mid-50s, and left home for a life of rock-and-roll in the mid-60's, and even played lead guitar with Gene Vincent in the very early 70's, before becoming proto-punk "Billy Zoom". In 1980, Manzarek produced X's first album "Los Angeles". Billy has fixed a few amps for me...interesting but unusual cat. He's not a gearhead at all, but would talk hot-rod cars all day. He told me that Fender once offered to give him a guitar, and he reponded that he would only accept it if it was one of the really good Japanese ones (so, the deal never happened). He keeps a modded 60's Epi Wilshire in the shop to test drive amps he is working on, and its a jawdropper to watch him do so. He peels off riffs like Setzer is doing in that vid in the OP. I recall seeing a signed glossy from Setzer in Billy's shop with a line to the effect, "To Billy Zoom, one of the good ones!"

BZ-nice guy

Archived