Do I Need a Sub?

• Members

I have a pair of KRK RP-8's, which sound great, and are good enough for what I'm doing, but the low end of my mixes always sound totally different when I play them on other systems. Do I need a sub? Or is it possible I don't have them placed right? The room? Any tips? Thanks,

Spencer

• Members

naw, without room treatment and bass traps and the like, a sub is gonna make things worse

if this isn't possible, in the meantime i would listen to a song/songs in which you like the bass sound, play it on your system and try to match this rather than try to make it sound the way you like it in your system

• Members

Do I need a sub? Or is it possible I don't have them placed right? The room? Any tips? Thanks,

Probably both :-) Read up on correct placement of the listening position and the speakers within the room and on room treatement to get control over the bass frequencies. I'd treat the room before I bought the sub, if I could only do one of those things. If you can do both, then do both. The speakers can theoretically make it down to 40Hz probably, but also probably can't do it in a manly way and would probably provide better performance if some of that low-low end load was taken off of them.

• Members

Well, it sounds like I need to explore treating my room, which is tough since I live in an apt. and am limited to what I can do. I'm really limited as to where I can place my speakers in relation to my wall. Unfortunately, I don't have enough room to pull them off the wall that far (they are on speaker stands, I don't know how much that helps.)

As far as bass traps go, I'm a little overwhelmed as far as how to do it DIY. It looks like there are a multitude of designs (tubes, sheets, etc. ) Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks,

• Members

do you mean to say those traps on youtube will be ineffective?

Not ineffective, but let me explain what that video is. Some time back Glenn Kuras at GIK got a phone call from Joel Dubay, who owns Ready Acoustics, to tell Glenn he bought one of Glenn's 244 bass traps. Then, about a year later Joel made this video showing how to build Glenn's trap. Can you believe anyone would do that? Joel's only motive was to try to put GIK out of business. Glenn told me his design has changed since Joel made that video, but it just floors me that Joel would stoop to that level. Just think if Avalon made a video showing how to clone a Manley preamp. How sick would that be?

So just know why the video is there on YouTube. It is not there to help anyone but Joel DuBay, since he takes credit for the design and has a link to his own web site in the video.

--Ethan

• Members

Thanks for the info guys. Ethan, some basic questions:

Does the bass trap need to go from floor to ceiling? And, if not, is it better to hang from the ceiling or the floor. Or does it matter?

Does the bass trap need to be mounted to the wall? Or can it be free standing in the corner?

The 705-FRK, does not need a frame, or covering? Any tips on where you can buy it? Thanks,

spencer

• Members

Does the bass trap need to go from floor to ceiling? And, if not, is it better to hang from the ceiling or the floor. Or does it matter?

Need too? No.. Should you? YES ;) It comes down to the the more area you cover the better the bass control will be in the room. As far as high or low in the corner, if you plan on only putting one in the corner then in front of the room I would put it near the floor to help with any SBIR that could be coming from the back of the speakers. See http://www.gikacoustics.com/education_sbir.html for details.

Does the bass trap need to be mounted to the wall? Or can it be free standing in the corner?

yes you can just set (straddling) the trap in the corner and be done with it.

Here is a layout that might get you started on placement. Note that this is listing our products (sorry no pimping meant) but many other products, like Real Traps, can be used the same way.

room_layout_662.gif

Glenn

• Members

It comes down to the the more area you cover the better the bass control will be in the room.

Exactly. It's impossible to make any domestic size room perfectly flat. So the more bass traps you have, the closer you'll get.

sorry no pimping meant

rofl3d.gif

many other products, like RealTraps, can be used the same way.

Oh, well in THAT case...

Just funnin' with ya Glenn!

--Ethan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

naw, without room treatment and bass traps and the like, a sub is gonna make things worse

I agree. I have the same monitors as you and bought the KRK 10" sub. The sub ended up being defective - but for a few days it worked and I can say I didn't know what I was hearing. If you're not prepared to really tune your listening environment, you might have a mess on your hands.

Archived