Average used Parker Fly/NightFly prices?

• Members

Does anyone know some rough guide prices for these? There seem to be quite a few varying prices bands on ebay...

Also, does anyone know any good stores that stock Parkers in general? Not the Music123, MF etc, but smaller stores like DrumCity Guitarland which have pictures specs on individual guitars?

Thanks in advanced!

• Members

Originally posted by bdegrande

I have bought three NiteFlys used, ranging from $425-500. Those were good deals, but $500-600 is pretty common. Used F;ys are generally about $1000, but there is a lot of variation depending on which model.

Is there any reason (other than cost) that you went for the nitefly over the fly?

ive only played fly's and the imports so far...

• Members

Originally posted by ScottIans Beard

Is there any reason (other than cost) that you went for the nitefly over the fly?

I wanted both single coils and a humbucker. There was a model of the Fly made with both, but it didn't last for long. If I found one of those at a reasonable price, that Fly model would have been my first choice. The NiteFly's a great guitar, though, just not as light as a Fly. It has the stainless steel frets, locking tuners, composite board, etc.

• Members

Some people prefer the bolt on neck and normal weight. If you pick up a Fly, it's shockingly light and takes some getting used to whereas a Nitefly feels a lot more normal.

In my case, the Nitefly was the only one I could afford. At the time, I would have gotten the Fly if I had the $. Over time, I've really gotten attached to the Nitefly and decided to keep it rather than upgrade to a Fly.

It is a great guitar and shares many of the Parker features (ss frets, composite board, Parker designed trem) that the import Parkers don't have.

• Members

Thanks for the help guys!

So other than Grand Central anyone know of any good places to pick up used Parkers?

How much does a NiteFly weight? I know the flys ive played were about 5 pounds. Are NightFlys significantly heavier? What about the tone?

And a final thing, what pickups came on the older versions, was it the custom DiMarzios?

Thanks again!

• Members

Another bump, another question!

is there a big difference spec/quality wise between late 90s models and newer ones?

Hows the trem in full float mode?

Any good Parker resources?

I know they have a board over at their site, but its hardly independant!

• Members

Two enitrely different instruments with little in common but the basic shape.

The Fly has a much thinner, lighter body. It's neck is wide, flat and thin, a very modern carve (I don't want to call it a shredder neck, but the seems the best designation). The neck attachs to the body without any noticeable heel, the nitre guitar is just streamlined. In order to get this thing as trim and sleek as possible, the pickups are mounted with a proprietary moutning system, so they aren't easily replaced (Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio would have to custom build replacements).

The Nitefly is basically a modern Fender Strat with a Fly-shaped body. The body is much thicker, and flatter on the surfaces (not as much contouring), and weighs considerably more than the Fly. The neck is much thicker and rounder, with a narrower nut, it truely feels identical to a Fender neck. And you have the thicker bolt-on heel. The pickups are mounted in the traditional fashion, you can switch them out as easily as a Gibson or Fender (depending on model). Now, when they first released the Nitefly (which was an huge failure at first, since then they have upgraded the electronics and completely changed the body/neck woods), the trem was slightly different that those they used on the Fly, but I think they now come with the real Fly trem, but don't quote me on that. All and all, the guitar feels a lot more traditional and Fender-esque.

I actually prefer the heftier, traditional Nitefly feel, myself, but true Fly fans think they are an abomination.

• Members

Wyatt,

Thanks for the reply! Very interesting info. As i mentioned earlier i have never played a NiteFly, i assumed that it was just a Bolt-on Fly. Now i better check one out before i go ordering one!

The P-36 is played was very light and had a very thin neck, but the PM20s have much thicker ones. I was thinking about picking up a '36 in the near future after a Fly of some kind!

(Sorry for the previous bumpings, im having trouble finding out what i want to know! Nobody seems very forthcoming with parker info!)

• Members

Thanks for the help guys!

So other than Grand Central anyone know of any good places to pick up used Parkers?

How much does a NiteFly weight? I know the flys ive played were about 5 pounds. Are NightFlys significantly heavier? What about the tone?

And a final thing, what pickups came on the older versions, was it the custom DiMarzios?

Thanks again!

A Nitefly weighs about the same as a normal strat. The tone of my Nitefly (version 2) sounds very similar to a fat strat (h-s-s pickup config). It has a little more output and is a little less bright than a Strat. The neck profile feels similar to a strat, but the ss frets are easier to bend with.

The Fishman piezo system is active on all but the earliest Nitefly guitars. Early (passive piezo) Nitefly models require a stereo cord in order to hear the piezo output whereas the more recent Nitefly guitars can run both outputs through a mono cord. At best, the piezo will give you an Ovation style acoustic sound, it won't minic a dreadnought that well.

The Parker trem system is very stable. Unless you plan on doing lots of dive bombs, it will stay in tune. The only trem I think is more stable is a real Floyd Rose. My Nitefly bridge looks identical to a Fly's bridge, but it isn't quite the same. Maybe someone with a Fly can post a comparison between their trem and a Floyd. String changes are easier with the Parker trems.

Mine came with customer DiMarzios, I like them and have never considered changing them. Nitefly pickups can be changed without much fuss, unlike the Fly which has a very thin body.

In summary, the Nitefly has many of the unique Parker features but plays and sounds similar to a good quality Fender strat. The Fly series is much lighter and has a very unique feel and tone. While both series share the composite board, locking tuners, Parker designed trem, piezo bridge, they feel and sound very different. Try both, they are great guitars. :cool:

• Members

Valtyr,

Thanks also for the info. I think i might have to rethink the NiteFly idea, and go for a full Fly!

I already have a very good (IMO) Strat and a Gibson Explorer. Im looking for a versatile best of both between the two, with a faster neck.

• Members

Valtyr,

Thanks also for the info. I think i might have to rethink the NiteFly idea, and go for a full Fly!

I already have a very good (IMO) Strat and a Gibson Explorer. Im looking for a versatile best of both between the two, with a faster neck.

I used to have a Nitefly and a Strat. I sold the Strat because they sounded too similar, I liked the Nitefly better.

Try the full Fly, they are truely unique. :cool:

I would avoid the p series, they are pretty much normal guitars with only the Parker shape. They don't have the ss frets, composite board, or the Parker designed trem system.

Archived