Lap-Steel? share some thoughts

fishfartz

• Members

i remember someone mentioning it a little while back - id like to chat about it with anyone who plays or has any experience with them. ive been keeping a spare guitar just for playing slide and alternate tunings the past 4-5 years and i love it, and since hearing about the lapsteel i think ill give that a shot as well

homemade that is - please read on and see if you can offer me some advice. i realize there are $99 ones on the market but this seems like a much less daunting task than a guitar from scratch, and i enjoy making things...it takes me a while but 1/2 the fun is doing it yourself

it aroused my interest and i think im going to try something myself soon. after i get this small scale guitar off layaway for my 3 year old niece in the next month im going to get back the Aria SG copy that she has been using......

ive already cut the top wing off the SG so she could reach over the top to strum, so ill take parts off that!

i have a brass nut saved from an older guitar that has well cut nutslots but it does not have any concave/radius to the shape and i think ill use that for a nice flat nut.

im not going to use the SG body, just the humbuckers, and im also going to try and incorporate an alnico pro II staggered single coil into the mix. id like ti rig up some switches with those 3 pups for added tonal possibilities.

as far as the body im not sure but id like to do something from scratch thats different. what i am concerned about is the "fret-markers". i know they will come in handy, even though im very comfortable with my slide playing. im thinking about maybe a picture or motiff on the baord with simple dots to the side for the markers...

or would it make more sense to have the full markers there for reference?

i like my slide guitars action kinda high but still low enough to chord without fighting, but i want this just floating with no nned for frets below. i cant wait to get started -

any advice or tips about lapsteel in general would be great.

and by the way, i am disabled so this would be a fairly long project just to give me something to do this summer, and i dont have alot of fancy tools so im not aiming for traditional or pretty, just something that is fully functional with lots of tonal options and built to last

• Members

bumparooni

i found a cool site that shows a pretty good walkthrough, so im good as far as that goes but looking for any thoughts on the matter from owners/builders

since there are no frets i think i may just forget about fretmarkers as well and just have the fretboard with some kind of cool laminated picture and use fretdots to the side of the fretbaord, since when i play slide im never looking at the frets anyway, mostly listening and knowing when i need to stop at the right spot'

Archived