QUESTION: what do we think of the dean palomino semi hollow?

Skitzo130

• Members

Haven't got my hands on one but just read the reviews on this site and think I'll pick up the first used one I see in one of my local stores. Turser makes something similar for a similar price but I was not impressed with the two I played.

• Members

I've noticed some issues with the fretboads not being level on these. One was a friend's that I repaired by just leveling the frets....But another one that I bought off ebay personally (got a great price brand new) needed the frets removed and the fretboard planed. Pickups are sorta mediocre sounding. Build quality other than that seems pretty good. I got mine for 200 plus shipping brand new from some music store. I'll probably plane the fingerboard and all that myself because it's cheaper than paying the shipping for them to fix it by warantee.

I might put some nicer pickups in mine.

• Members

I have done an A/B comparsion between the Dean, Michael Kelly Vibe and Jumbo FT, and Epi Wildkat,and also talked with dealers who sell all three. The MK Vibe and Jumbo FT blows the Dean Palamino away. There is no comparison. The MK is a little better than the Epi, but the Epi will hold its value better than the MK at this point. So with that said it is preference between the Epi and MK. The Epi has p-90s and the MK has HBs. The MK is $399. The Epi is $399 right now at MF. Both are cheaper and better than the Dean. The Dean has the look, but does not play as well as the others.

Here is what one dealer, with whom I was inquiring about the Dean, said:

"Personally, I don't think comparing the Palimino to any of the michael Kelly's is fair. The MK lineup is amazing quality and care of design. The palimino is just another hollowbody. No comparison. :) Thanks! "

He sells them both.

Archived