Does a left handed neck = Reverse right handed?

InfamousCAP

• Members

I've got an old Yamaha Pacifica 112 that I sanded down, cut the horns off of, and...attempted to refinish. I think it came out alright, but I wanted to customize it some more. By the way Scary_Man, thanks for posting your strat project. Inspired me. :thu:

Anywho, I always loved how left handed guitars looked. Is it possible to use a left handed neck instead of a right-handed neck on a right handed guitar? The way I figure, all I would have to do is change the nut, and BAM, instant reverse headstock. Plausable?

Here's what I was thinkin' -

Slap a eg90neckaleft.jpg

http://www.rondomusic.net/product609.html

in the neck pocket and replace the nut. Drill a string tree thingy in there and get some tuners.

I understand that it also may not fit. I still havn't taken official measurements and stuff. I thought I'd see what the pros at HC thought before I took up this adventure. I've heard nothing but good things about Rondomusic guitars, so I expect that the parts should be nice as well.

Any comments? Suggestion? Feel free to laugh and call me a noob as well. All feedback helps.

:wave:

My first post. I'm officially no longer a lurker.

• Members

Fret markers on the side of the neck wont be visible unless they are on both sides. Also if the contour is asymetrical then the feel will obviously change.

As for the fitting. You may have to measure.

• Members

bird2a.jpg

that's the neck I used here (painted the headstock) - you'll have to flip or replace the nut - I used fingernail polish to mark the side dots until I come up with something more permanent (or not)

try and find some lefty tuners - I used rightys and it's kind of a pain tuning in reverse

• Members

Good to know.

So I'ma go write all this down: replace nut, make sure symetrical, lefty tuners, and find a way to mark the frets.

I'm starting to feel better already about this. Next thing to do is measure. I think I'll swing by Home Depot on the way home from work and see what type of measuring devices they have.

Thanks folks!

And nice guitar, jj. That's what I'm going for... a "Whoa, what guitar is that?" kinda look.

:cool:

Archived