Warmoth unfinished necks

• Moderators

I know a few of you out there have had these. Warmoth specify a hard finish for maple necks for warranty purposes.

Anybody just used tung oil and had no problems?

Anybody use tung oil and had problems?

Wipe on poly....is thats olvent based or water based?

Any other finishes easy to apply at home?

• Members

Warmoth does warranty the neck as long as you build enough Shellac up for decent protection. Shellac isn't a very durable finish.

Tru-oil works well for a wipe on.

Any Poly-urethane finish is good.

Lacquers are good.

Tung oil is a broad term usually indicating bad news for necks. Most don't harden up or don't harden up enough to protect the neck against moisture. Some are hydroscopic, actually drawing moisture into the neck out of the air. That's handy for wood.

Gregg-

Warmoth Guitar Products

• Moderators

Originally posted by Stirt

Warmoth does warranty the neck as long as you build enough Shellac up for decent protection. Shellac isn't a very durable finish.

Tru-oil works well for a wipe on.

Any Poly-urethane finish is good.

Lacquers are good.

Tung oil is a broad term usually indicating bad news for necks. Most don't harden up or don't harden up enough to protect the neck against moisture. Some are hydroscopic, actually drawing moisture into the neck out of the air. That's handy for wood.

Gregg-

Warmoth Guitar Products

Aaaah Gregg old chap, problem is here in UK we dont have wipe on, apart from a Behlen Wipe on Urethane which is water based. Is your wipe on in the US solvent based?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Aaaah Gregg old chap, problem is here in UK we dont have wipe on, apart from a Behlen Wipe on Urethane which is water based. Is your wipe on in the US solvent based?

Hey, who you calling old and chapped?! ....(kidding)

Yes, it's mostly solvent based here though we still have brands of water based product trying to be as good. So the UK is not Solvent friendly or just wipe-onless?

Guest Anonymous

Minwax wipe-on poly works great. Two or three coats is plenty enough to provide protection without affecting tone.

• Members

I left both of my Warmoth necks completely raw...warranty be damned. :D

One of them is 3 1/2 years old and the other is about 2. So far, I've had no problems out of either of them, other than the usual staining on the fretboard of unfinished maple necks.

Knock on wood.

• Members

Originally posted by GuitslingerTim

Minwax wipe-on poly works great. Two or three coats is plenty enough to provide protection without affecting tone.

I second that. I used it also on my Warmoth neck and I couldn't believe how easy it was and how good the results were. The neck looks pro. I put on about 4-5 coats. Goes on very easy, drys fast!

I wouldn't expect that a water based finish is going to be durable or provide a good wood seal. It certainly won't darken the wood.

• Members

Originally posted by Stirt

So the UK is not Solvent friendly or just wipe-onless?

The UK is fairly restrictive when it comes to solvents. We had a big problem with solvent abuse here in the 80s/90s which means it is a problem to get. Some stuff you can get in the States you can't get here without some sort of chemical licencing. I can finish myself, but am interested to see what wipe ons are available. Things like Danish oil and Tiggy oil seem to be readily available, but they all work off of water-based oils rather than solvents.

The Behlen Urethene I thought was garbage. It seemed to give the wood a real uneven tint. I finished an old shelf with it and it didn't do a great job at all.

Tung oil is even not a very easy thing to get, at least in a pure form. Though check out the little hobby stores as they usually have things like alcohol and shellac for very not expensive prices, though I'll warn you to do all this in a well ventilated area. I did my first finish in my garage. When I got done, I went outside and felt like I was gonna collapse then and there!

J.

• Members

Originally posted by GuitslingerTim

I third it. Applies thin and easy to work with.

• Members

Originally posted by satannica

The Behlen Urethene I thought was garbage. It seemed to give the wood a real uneven tint. I finished an old shelf with it and it didn't do a great job at all.

J.

If I remember correctly even with the Minwax wipe-on, you had to use a primer/sealer first. If you used the Behlen and didn't use a primer/sealer I would expect you'd see an uneven tint (if that was the case).

Archived