setup issue-Agile

eichaan

• Members

My AL-3000 guitar is one of my favorites. It is not too heavy, sounds great, and is very comfortable to play. I have played it about 2 hours per week since I got it last August.

About three weeks ago, the low E string began buzzing terribly when played open. The buzzing disappears when the string is fretted at the first fret or higher, which makes me think the problem is with the fret itself. I've changed strings, and tried raising the bridge, to no avail. The neck seems straight...

Before I take the guitar to a repair shop, does anyone else have any ideas of what I could try to do?

Thanks in advance.Goldy1.jpg

• Members

First get a good metal straight edge....like a carpenters square...place it on top of the frets near th low "E" starting with the second fret and slide it towards the first fret and see if it hits the first. If it does the fret may be a little loose and popped up slightly. If it has....you can work some carprnters glue in next to the fret and LIGHTLY tap the fret back down then wipe the excess glue off with a slightly damp sponge. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

• Members
Originally posted by jec

It may also be because the weather has gotten warmer. May need a truss-rod tweek.

:thu:

remember that time with Jon Mayer, the plastic explosive and the Harlem Globetrotters? not all the Harlem Globetrotters, but 3 of them, including a starter

remember?

that was awesome

• Members
Originally posted by LAracer

If its buzzing only on the open string and not the 1st fret then it may be that the nut is cut too deep. I'd guess that this is much more likely than an uneven fret.

bahh!! beat me to it.

First place I'd check before frets.

Drop a little piece of paper in the slot and shim it up. Probably play just fine.

*edit* nice lookin axe too :)

• Members

Ok. After trying the straight edge trick, it seems like the 1st fret IS a little high, on the bass side. I am wiling to tap the fret into place, but what kind of hammer should I use? Or should I place something on the fret, and hammer that?

Thanks for the help, and thanks in advance for more!

Also, the little piece of paper trick works too. Should I just stick with that?

Originally posted by spadoctor

First get a good metal straight edge....like a carpenters square...place it on top of the frets near th low "E" starting with the second fret and slide it towards the first fret and see if it hits the first. If it does the fret may be a little loose and popped up slightly. If it has....you can work some carprnters glue in next to the fret and LIGHTLY tap the fret back down then wipe the excess glue off with a slightly damp sponge. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

• Members

Use a small hammer, like one you drive a short, small nail with. Do NOT use a carpenter's framing hammer (the general purpose hammer, 16oz or heavier).

Put your index finger next to the fret you are going to tap. Remember, if you miss the fret, you want to hit your finger. This should help you select a hammer small enough.

• Members

Originally posted by eichaan

Ok. After trying the straight edge trick, it seems like the 1st fret IS a little high, on the bass side. I am wiling to tap the fret into place, but what kind of hammer should I use? Or should I place something on the fret, and hammer that?

Thanks for the help, and thanks in advance for more!

Also, the little piece of paper trick works too. Should I just stick with that?

Be absolutely sure that the first fret is high before messing with it. I fudged a neck up pretty bad doing similar things when a simple nut adjustment would have sufficed.

Archived