Short eruption Clip on Gibson Studio, tone comments please!

Damokles

• Members

Hey

Just wanted to ask for some short opinions on my tone on this Clip. It's done with a Gibson les Paul studio into a Pod XT into my crappy on board soundcard. nothing else. Think this is the best clip i've recorded so far tone wise, especially since i suck badly in finding good tone and recording. Skipped any effects except reverb since i suck in using them.

Any comment on how to further improve is apprechiated!

www.bahnhofsquatsch.online.de/e.mp3

• Members

The thing about "Eruption" is it was never meant to be a precise anything. EVH has himself stated that it was just a warm-up exercise. I have never heard him play it the same way twice. As a matter of fact if you've seen VH in concert or watched their DVD's you'd notice Edward is constantly adding to or taking away from the solo. So, just get the basics down on it and feel free to shred away!

• Members

TONE comments, folks...

That sounds pretty nice. Pod clips always make me think, "I can't believe it's direct!"

Sounds to me like maybe you should back off the trim -- thought I heard just a touch of clipping in there -- and maybe roll off the gain just a hair. Also, it's a little bit bright for my taste, but not by a lot.

Those are pretty much fine- tuning adjustments, though. Overall it's getting there quite nicely. :thu:

-- edit re: brightness. It's easier to roll off some treble during mixing than it is to add it back in. Erring on the side of caution when you lay the track down is never a bad thing.

• Members
Originally posted by Damokles

Hey

Just wanted to ask for some short opinions on my tone on this Clip. It's done with a Gibson les Paul studio into a Pod XT into my crappy on board soundcard. nothing else. Think this is the best clip i've recorded so far tone wise, especially since i suck badly in finding good tone and recording. Skipped any effects except reverb since i suck in using them.

Any comment on how to further improve is apprechiated!

www.bahnhofsquatsch.online.de/e.mp3

Good job:thu: It was porl' my crappy soundsystem but I thought the track could have been fatter with a bit more juice.

• Members
Originally posted by Suspicious Mail

TONE comments, folks...

That sounds pretty nice. Pod clips always make me think, "I can't believe it's direct!"

Sounds to me like maybe you should back off the trim -- thought I heard just a touch of clipping in there -- and maybe roll off the gain just a hair. Also, it's a little bit bright for my taste, but not by a lot.

Those are pretty much fine- tuning adjustments, though. Overall it's getting there quite nicely.
:thu:

-- edit re: brightness. It's easier to roll off some treble during mixing than it is to add it back in. Erring on the side of caution when you lay the track down is never a bad thing.

I'll check on rolling back the treble a bit, guess you're right...
And yeah it is clipping, but that's my soundcard and theres no way i can get around it. I can either push the signal into clipping while playing or it is too silent to hear it and i have to amplify it later on to the point where it sounds crappy. Finding tone is so different with the pod since it sounds completely different through the headphones than later on after recording. Anybody can help me with a recommendation for a good soundcard?

Archived