Do you have to use ONLY the notes on one scale?

LouRed

• Members

Originally posted by LouRed

so do you? i mean the scales have patterns and do I have to use only the notes on the scale? If i don't, then why do we learn Scales?

Learning scales just helps you put notes together that sound good. You can throw in extra notes, too though, which would technically be chromatic passing tones.

• Members

when i started i had no teacher but occasionally id get to jam with someone and pick a few things up.

but for the most part the first few years i taught myself how to read tab to learn my favorite tunes.........

spent a few years doing that. i could play alot of my favorite songs.WOO-HOOOO!

but then when i tried writing my own stuff i kept drawing blanks. i was so used to having it laid out in front of me.

so i started from scratch again and for the next few years id just write rhythms/progressions and spend my time going all over the neck trying to find notes that worked and which did not. then id piece together crap out of that.

well things started to happen after that. little did i know i was getting familar with intervals and relationships of notes over chords. so after some time with just about any simple progression i would know how different notes would sound over them in my head and that really helped.

now all this time i never decided to learn why or go further. but a few years ago i decided to start learning some theory and trying to understand WHY certain things do and dont work and its been alot of fun. i never really knew the names of things id play - or how to label a certain sound (interval) i would hear when comparing or using notes.

so anyway, i guess im saying its never too late to start learning. and its never too early to drop that tab and just do it. i rmember when i did give up on tab and my playing really improved (rather my ear).

tab has its place but it should never be a crutch.

Archived