WOW yet another of my noob questions

Adrian Crow

• Members

Originally posted by Adrian Crow

how do i take the humbucker cover off of my guitar. If you could put a linkwith diagrams or just explain how to do it I would be very happy.

You have to remove the whole pickup and desolder the cover from the pickup.

• Members

Why do you want to take the cover off? Did you knowthat if you do that you'll prob have a mess. They are probably wax potted. Sealing on exposed coil type pups is done diff then with them chrome/gold cover types. You cant take the cover off your kind to get open coil look and performance. It'll have nasty squael like skinned alive mouse who somehow remained conscious. It will have undesireable tonal problems & lack of sustain too.

I once received a bass whose P pups hadnt been properly potted. They wherent potted at all. No one stood a chance in hell of geting high of their sound compared to properly potted pups of same brand I put in as replacement. Dimarzio P pus by the way. The one store sent had Dimarzio P's but they'd forgot to pot them. Sounded terrible, no sustain either. Replacedwith nondefectives and sounded and sustained like supposed to.

So leave your covers on and get open coil replacement pups if thats what you want

• Members
Originally posted by Adrian Crow

how do i take the humbucker cover off of my guitar. If you could put a linkwith diagrams or just explain how to do it I would be very happy.

Tke it to your local luthier, and have him/her take the covers off. Either that or justr replace the pups completely with uncovered ones.

• Members

Originally posted by Darkstorm

You cant take the cover off your kind to get open coil look and performance. It'll have nasty squael like skinned alive mouse who somehow remained conscious. It will have undesireable tonal problems & lack of sustain too.

So leave your covers on and get open coil replacement pups if thats what you want

I took the covers off my '74 LP Custom, and they worked fine, and had less of that "ringy" tone to them. They actually had a bit smoother tone.

Archived