Please recommend convenient music video making software!

• Members

Ok, here's the task. I want to create a couple of videos (basically chops and pieces from movies, music videos and BBC documentary films :love:) to use live on stage during our gigs. We play with a click track so I have the opportunity to make the videos totally synced to the songs. Right now I'm trying out various software, but nothing seems to satisfy me. I've tried Adobe Premiere and Pinnacle Studio Ultimate. Both are bulky and the trim/crop functions are poorly implemented. I would guess there should be some kind of a program for these specific needs with nifty features like beat detection/snap video to grid or peaks etc..

Any recommendations?

• Members

Cheap, easy to use and great results: Sony Vegas Movie Studio with DVD Architect.

(Platinum edition ~$90 will let you use all your lovely audio VSTs!!! And even edit HDTV later on...)

Demo on their website you can try:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudio

I've used this for the last couple of years with my pro GL-2 cam and I wont go with anything else.

ByTheWay: Record your audio separately at 48Khz and it'll all sync up. Audio for video is 16bit/48khz.....

• Members

+1 on Vegas Studio I tried several other software packages and Vegas had the authoring and effects and everthig neede riht out of the box. You can get really precision edits. The trial version is online. If you get it get the Platinum its not much more and they add a tutorial and even more extra's.

Suprisingly I used Microsoft Movie Maker also, and found the editing to be pretty quick to use for basic stuff. It actully has pretty good transitions and effects. the audio part is kind of on the weak side. The PapaJohn site has some good information on optimizing moviemaker. The only drawback to moviemaker is you need an authoring program. Some CD/DVD burner software like Nero or Sonic include the authoring ability.

• Members

+1 to sony vegas. It is far easier to use than premiere.

But geez: do not play copyrighted footage from other texts in public in front of an audience. You will get sued. :cop:

There are a lot of places where you can get footage from the public domain, most easily from archive.org -- and even some of that has a creative commons liscence that specifies that no derivative works can be made. You can contact folks who have made things for youtube and the like; a lot of that is original content that can be had for free with permission.

But it is expensive enough to get a public performance right for a single film, much less for a pile of films, and it is -very- expensive to get sued for public performance.

Another viable option is to use something like winamp, which can run visualizer plugins and be synced to the audio input of a laptop. That way you don't have to edit anything, but it looks cool and syncs right up.

• Members

+1 to sony vegas. It is far easier to use than premiere.

yeah thanks guys, i'll check it out

But geez: do not play copyrighted footage from other texts in public in front of an audience. You will get sued.
:cop:

Dude I is in Russia, we eat cops for lunch :deadhorse:

There are a lot of places where you can get footage from the public domain, most easily from archive.org -- and even some of that has a creative commons liscence that specifies that no derivative works can be made. You can contact folks who have made things for youtube and the like; a lot of that is original content that can be had for free with permission.

But it is expensive enough to get a public performance right for a single film, much less for a pile of films, and it is -very- expensive to get sued for public performance.

Another viable option is to use something like winamp, which can run visualizer plugins and be synced to the audio input of a laptop. That way you don't have to edit anything, but it looks cool and syncs right up.

Well it ain't gonna sync up to the drums or any live instruments we're playing. Also, I don't really like the winamp visual plugins. Perhaps there's something more cooler than winamp?

• Members

ByTheWay: Record your audio separately at 48Khz and it'll all sync up. Audio for video is 16bit/48khz.....

Hmm.. I usually record my audio at 96k/32b. Then when I make the final mp3 file I can downsample it to any rate I want.

But up to now I've just drag-n-dropped mp3 files right into the video. I believe they are converted automatically.

Archived