Strat Strategy

• Moderators

Geddit?....ahem.

OK, All my gear is going so I can have the Strat I want. I was going to keep upgrading my Fenix, which is a perfectly decent guitar, but, the fecking bridge, a Gotoh piece has no saddle upgrades avaialable, although I could machine up some brass rollers for it.

My strategy therefore is to go with one of the Ebay "breakers" like Stratosphere, and either get a fully loaded body and then the neck of my choice from Warmoth. So far I have not found any necks on any Strat I've played that I'm 100% happy with apart from a Jeff Beck baseball bat neck, so I'll get a boatneck from Warmoth.

I've seen a nice Strat deluxe body adn notice that they a knife edge two pin type vibrato unit. Does anybody have Strat Deluxe and if so can you tell me the distance between centres?

Also does anybody know of any other major breakers that sell loaded bodies?

• Moderators

Originally posted by BlackHatHunter

that can end up being a pretty expensive strat to go that route.

Exactly what do you need in the loaded body?

Hehe, I only just saw your other post about your JV and though this was a tad out of order. I'm not really bothered whats in the body, if its fully loaded then thats fine, but its a toss up between an Olympic White or a nice natural. What I'm most concerned about is just buying a nice body and then finding my choice of trems limited. The Fender two post "deluxe" trem looks very close to the Wilkinson unit. Basically I dont wanna be tied to just Fender parts. With regards to pups, if I can see a fully loaded with Texas specials or summat then fine, but if not I'll drop a full Acme Van Zandt setup in it.

My final requirement is a damn good, but versatile body, sss rout, boatneck, with rosewood fretboard, medium jumbo stainless frets, CBS h'stock and good locking tuners.

• Members

Why not just order the whole thing from Warmoth if you know what you want on it? That way you don't have to worry about stuff lining up and you won't be buying anything that you don't really want.

FWIW, I don't know for sure, but I do believe the Fender 2 point is interchangeable with the Wilkinson. You could probably email Warmoth and get a definitive answer though.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Prages

Why not just order the whole thing from Warmoth if you know what you want on it? That way you don't have to worry about stuff lining up and you won't be buying anything that you don't really want.

FWIW, I don't know for sure, but I do believe the Fender 2 point is interchangeable with the Wilkinson. You could probably email Warmoth and get a definitive answer though.

I will certainly consider using a Warmoth body, but if you take a look at Stratosphere:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-STRATosphere_Bodies_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ3QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Some of the stuff there is an exceptional price, and in UK terms veryvery good value, it woudl only cost me another 150 GBP (Warmoth neck andc tuners) to have exactly the Strat I want....and indeed need:D

• Members

Originally posted by Fosse Fox

I will certainly consider using a Warmoth body, but if you take a look at Stratosphere:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-STRATosphere_Bodies_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ3QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Some of the stuff there is an exceptional price, and in UK terms veryvery good value, it woudl only cost me another 150 GBP (Warmoth neck andc tuners) to have exactly the Strat I want....and indeed need:D

Well, if you can get it cheaper that way, then :thu: .

• Moderators

Originally posted by Prages

Well, if you can get it cheaper that way, then
:thu:

Yes the pin centres are 56mm/2.2inches on the American Fender and the VS100, although the rout for the Wilkinson is a tad different. I just hear a lot of good things about these Wilkinson bridges. I gotta be honest Prages........I just want a sort of mostly Fender chunk, if I can't have the whole thing.:cry:

Sorry I can have the whole thing but its $1800

• Members

Geddit?....ahem.

OK, All my gear is going so I can have the Strat I want. I was going to keep upgrading my Fenix, which is a perfectly decent guitar, but, the fecking bridge, a Gotoh piece has no saddle upgrades avaialable, although I could machine up some brass rollers for it.

My strategy therefore is to go with one of the Ebay "breakers" like Stratosphere, and either get a fully loaded body and then the neck of my choice from Warmoth. So far I have not found any necks on any Strat I've played that I'm 100% happy with apart from a Jeff Beck baseball bat neck, so I'll get a boatneck from Warmoth.

I've seen a nice Strat deluxe body adn notice that they a knife edge two pin type vibrato unit. Does anybody have Strat Deluxe and if so can you tell me the distance between centres?

Also does anybody know of any other major breakers that sell loaded bodies?

If your going for the Warmoth neck then why not just get a warmoth body too. IMO Warmoth bodies are higher quality than most Fender offerings.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Burningleaves

If your going for the Warmoth neck then why not just get a warmoth body too. IMO Warmoth bodies are higher quality than most Fender offerings.

It's mostly pure stupidity......just the name, and the knowledge of the resaleability should I feel the need to get rid. As I indicated up there....somewhere, what I really WANT is a Jeff Beck Artist, but what I NEED is a Strat with a fat neck, medium jumbo ss frets, at least 1 11/16" at the nut, a very good vibrato, that I can swap in Tusq or graphite saddles to and locking tuners, but I really should go for a Warmoth body as well....you're perfectly right.

• Members

It's mostly pure stupidity......just the name, and the knowledge of the resaleability should I feel the need to get rid. As I indicated up there....somewhere, what I really WANT is a Jeff Beck Artist, but what I NEED is a Strat with a fat neck, medium jumbo ss frets, at least 1 11/16" at the nut, a very good vibrato, that I can swap in Tusq or graphite saddles to and locking tuners, but I really should go for a Warmoth body as well....you're perfectly right.

I would have thought warmoth necks decreased the value of a guitar.

• Moderators

by the time you are done paying for a warmoth, you can buy a Beck strat!!

Not here I couldnt.

If I carefully pick stuff out of Warmoths show case I could build what I want pretty cheap. I just wish I knew what the hell is the difference between Arctic White and Olympic White:cry:

• Moderators

ebay is regularly replete with them... do you want one with the noiseless pickups or one with the lace sensors?

Either would be OK, although if it was the early one, I'd have to lose the Wilkinson roller nut. The neck on the newer one isnt as extreme as the older one but still a tad heftier than the "modern C".

Down to preference it'd be the new one, but not in putrid purple or gaudy green

• Moderators

I love the gaudy green one... that's the one I want
:)

And by the way, it is either surf green or sea foam green, just like my tele!

I lived on the coast of Ireland....I;ve seen both sea foam and surf.....dem aint nuffin like it:D

Strats in white to me are just perfect, with white pickguard of course...Teles as well

I'd almost considered the Jimmy Vaughan, but ........I've completely forgotten why I turned it down now? Maybe the maple board. I think I thought it was a 1 5/8" nut, but its 1 11/16:eek: ok....so you got one........and you've got/had a Clapton, is the neck substantial to hold onto? Whats the thickness at the 1st fret?

If I could turn my head round to a Jimmy I could save a bucket of cash. Tell me about yours.

Archived