MIDI and Vista problem??

• Members

Hello guys,

I have Pro Tools 7.4 set up on Vista. Tonight i imported some MIDI tracks and i can not hear the output? :confused: I have set the output on each track as MS GS wavetable synth as thats what PT is showing, but i still dont hear anything? I can play the midi fine under windows player but in PT i dont hear any output.

I am new to Vista so maybe i need to do somthing, i tryed looking to find midi device under Vista and see if can change it to somthing else but i could not find it. :confused:

• Members

if there isnt any software compadibility issues I think the problem might be easy to fix. If you're using a standard sound card, you go into control panel and select sound card properties, you should have a dropdown under the default midi device. You should see the pro tools drivers in the dropdown. Once selected you may need to reboot. You may want to create a midi file in pro tools as well and see if it plays. If it does it may be something youre doing wrong when you're importing the file.

If you're using an interface as well as a sound card you may be having more complex playback conflicts. The Win card will usually dominate the files untill you tell the OS to do otherwise. You will have to tell it which program and hardware is going to be used for your midi applications. Usually a program like Pro Tools will have some tools in there for setting up midi as well. I dont run PT but Steinberger and Cakewalk products both have it. Vista tends to have everything set for its own software and hardware devices. Usually right clicking on a file will bring up a menu of compatible softwere that can play it back. If its not on the list it may need to be added. You will have to look into the Device manager/properties/codecs for the hardware if that seems to be the issue. With more than one hardware device you may have to disable the one to get the other to work.

Archived