Radial ProRMP vs X-Amp

• Members

I'm about to enter the world of re-amping. I'm a mediocre guitar player at best, so it's hard enough for me to get a perfect take down much less also have perfect tone and mic placement at the same time. So I'm pretty excited about re-amping. I'm gonna use my UA Solo/610 to record the DI track, and I'll send the Thru to my amp and still mic and record the amp on the original take in case I like it. Then later I'll send the DI track out to my audio interface, to the re-amp box, and back into my pedals and amp so I can play with the tone and mic placement.

Anyway, I'm wondering whether it's worth the extra $100 to get the X-Amp instead of the ProRMP. I read through some of the previous threads on re-amping, but I couldn't find anyone directly comparing the two. What is the advantage of active over passive? Is it just that I get an extra gain stage in the active box? If that's it then I'm not too worried about it since I have other ways to boost the gain if it needs it - an outboard mixer, a preamp with a line input, various pedals, or just raising the gain in the DAW. Is there more to the X-Amp then just the additional gain?

• Members

I can't say definitively but my guess (probably right) is the transformer in the X-amp is better quality.

If you open up a reamp box there isn't much to them, a few resistors and a transformer and that's pretty much it. Usually cost correlates to what kind of transformer was put inside.

As far as active vs. passive again I don't know definitively.

Archived