Questions re: DSP and mixing gear

• Members

I just recently bought an EMU Xboard 49 which comes with Proteus X2 and 3GB of samples. I've been using Logic 5 Audio on PC (1.8 GHz, 2GB RAM, XP SP 2, ONBOARD Realtek AC'97 sound) awhile and tended to use EXSP 24 for samples, and sequencing (matrix editor, no keyboard input) in Logic. It performed just fine.

Prior to this I had a Fantom-S workstation keyboard, but had to sell it -- and decided to move back to PC and go softsynth...

...and I forgot the headache of performance issues that I didn't have with my Fantom.

So. While I do have the Xboard and Proteus working in Logic with little to no latency, it seemed it would complain about memory within a minute of recording a sequence. I've read Logic 5 recognises only 1 GB of RAM! I do have Ableton Live Lite 7 but it's quite limited as far as tracks, and just haven't sat down to see how it all performs.

Anyway, the gist of this is -- I've just reformatted, I have yet to reinstall everything and see how it all performs now. But I was thinking I should get one of the following:

- PCI soundcard/DSP

- Firewire audio interface

- Mixer

While I don't really intend to be recording guitar or mic anything yet, having it now wouldn't hurt. My budget is $300. If it's going to be a PCI card, I'd like to work within $100-$200.

1. PEAVY MIXER

I was at a local music store and they sell a Peavey PVR series mixer (see http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/115042/PV®%2010.cfm ) -- this model I would consider. So, my question:

- will using this reduce latency, act as DSP? Or will an interface with ASIO2 (as most/all seem to have) be enough help?

2. AUDIO INTERFACE

I'm considering a Focusrite Saffire. There's some deals on eBay, but the LE is also cheaper. But, it does not have DSP. Do I need DSP if I want less load on my PC? Else I could go with a Presonus Firebox. I've been reading good about both products. If I do get an interface, I'll likely get something with Cubase SE (already have Abletons underwhelming offering)

3. DSP cards

*EDIT* I ordered an EMU 0404 tonight.

• Members

Something I can't figure out:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/0202USB/

theres a USB version of this, but apparently from reviews I've read they did away with DSP effects.

Does this mean it won't handle the VSTi/synth load in my host?

Cause if it does, I should just get this -- then I can record guitar and/or mic.

Any idea? :wave:

• Members

Any idea?
:wave:

None of the interfaces you mentioned handle a DSP load that isn't hardwired into them. For example, the Saffire has a compressor insert on its software control panel that you can use during tracking, and the DSP is calculated entirely within the hardware of the unit putting no strain on the computer's CPU, but you can't feed any other processing to it to reduce the strain on your tower.

The Saffire pres are quite good for the money, but if you don't need anything extra and are on a budget, go with the E-MU. Be clear about what you want.

• Members

SYN is right. These interfaces only allow you to use their DSP effects during tracking (ie. they allow you to use effects on the input signal in route to your computer). They are not accessible while mixing and you can't route a single audio signal to it for realtime effects processing. So if you record a guitar through one of the inputs on your interface and add compression or reverb, that's what you get...and once it's recorded you can't change it. It will not be able to help you with your synths or vsti's.

In all honesty, you might want to start saving for a computer upgrade. Newer soft-synths are getting more and more powerful and can really eat up available cpu processing in older processors. While getting a new interface may sound like the next logical step, you may want to save your money.

• Members

SYN is right. These interfaces only allow you to use their DSP effects during tracking (ie. they allow you to use effects on the input signal in route to your computer). They are not accessible while mixing and you can't route a single audio signal to it for realtime effects processing. So if you record a guitar through one of the inputs on your interface and add compression or reverb, that's what you get...and once it's recorded you can't change it. It will not be able to help you with your synths or vsti's.

In all honesty, you might want to start saving for a computer upgrade. Newer soft-synths are getting more and more powerful and can really eat up available cpu processing in older processors. While getting a new interface may sound like the next logical step, you may want to save your money.

+1

Generally samples hammer the RAM and DSP hammers the CPU. I'd get an upgrade on both... especially now that 4 GB of great RAM can be had a hundred bucks.

• Members

Thanks guys.

I actually canceled the 0404, ordered a Tascam FireOne - not for processing offload, just an interface/control. I figured I can get a handle on this (just use EXSP24 if I must, that ran fine) - and/or fool around more in Ableton Lite since I haven't really got my hands dirty in it yet - and perhaps it'll perform better. That Logic 5 is just dated (and remember the RAM issue I mentioned).

Archived