Compressing Reason 4.0 Songs To The Same Level

• Members

Hello everyone. I did a search but it's not working. I know a lot of guys here have a ton of great experience with this type of thing, and I really don't have much. I'm also gonna post in the Recording cuz I'm not sure whether I should post it here or there. Anyways, I'm assuming compression is what I need but I really don't know...Here's my situation: I just finished a bunch of songs in Reason 4.0 and put them all in iTunes so I could hear them to figure out the order to put them in to burn on disc. I realized that some are louder than others! This is odd because I always have the main Reason mixer at the same level, but I do do a HUGE range of different types of stuff with it, using the sampler for acoustic instruments and the synths as well, so I guess it makes sense. I'd like to get all the songs the same volume before I burn them to disc. If I do need compression, how would I compress all the songs? They are in .wav format if that helps. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

• Members

A mastering engineer should really answer this, as I am not, although I do it for clients if they are in a pinch.

You've already thought about some of this, though, realizing that you have a variety of tunes, and that they would of course not be the same volume.

You'll probably need compression, but really, even more than that, what you need to do is spread out all the songs in whatever program you are using...and LISTEN.

After listening to the songs a while and making notes, think about what each song needs, not only for itself, but also in relation to each other.

And don't just think in terms of compression. Think in terms of volume, of EQ, of dynamics. You need to work on all of these, as a mastering engineer would, so that the songs play well on the same CD together.

If it's primarily a volume issue, consider simply adjusting the volumes, if that's all it takes. It's simple, at any rate. And don't just look at your settings or your waveforms. Listen. Use your ears. That's what any decent mastering engineer would do. It doesn't matter what the waveforms sound like if one song sounds like it is louder than the other.

If it's a dynamics issue, adjust the dynamics. But wait...don't just automatically reach for the compressor. Is it just one section of a song, where you can draw in some volume automation? Does a particular frequency leap out? Maybe you can address this with EQ. Can you use multi-band compression? Listen.

Use the EQ if one song sounds duller than another. If you boost the midrange because the song is bassy, this will also make it sound louder in terms of the listener's perception. That's why you need to listen.

This post is more common-sense and philosophical in terms of the approach. But who knows, it may help you more than the "go get a Har Bal" or "you've got to have a multi-band compressor!" sort of posts.

• Members

A mastering engineer should really answer this, as I am not, although I do it for clients if they are in a pinch.

You've already thought about some of this, though, realizing that you have a variety of tunes, and that they would of course not be the same volume.

You'll probably need compression, but really, even more than that, what you need to do is spread out all the songs in whatever program you are using...and LISTEN.

After listening to the songs a while and making notes, think about what each song needs, not only for itself, but also in relation to each other.

And don't just think in terms of compression. Think in terms of volume, of EQ, of dynamics. You need to work on all of these, as a mastering engineer would, so that the songs play well on the same CD together.

If it's primarily a volume issue, consider simply adjusting the volumes, if that's all it takes. It's simple, at any rate. And don't just look at your settings or your waveforms. Listen. Use your ears. That's what any decent mastering engineer would do. It doesn't matter what the waveforms sound like if one song sounds like it is louder than the other.

If it's a dynamics issue, adjust the dynamics. But wait...don't just automatically reach for the compressor. Is it just one section of a song, where you can draw in some volume automation? Does a particular frequency leap out? Maybe you can address this with EQ. Can you use multi-band compression? Listen.

Use the EQ if one song sounds duller than another. If you boost the midrange because the song is bassy, this will also make it sound louder in terms of the listener's perception. That's why you need to listen.

This post is more common-sense and philosophical in terms of the approach. But who knows, it may help you more than the "go get a Har Bal" or "you've got to have a multi-band compressor!" sort of posts.

Dude!!! Thank you so much for your reply!!! It honestly is a huge help, you've given me a whole new way to look at it, I never would have thought of any of this!!! I'm gonna use the ideas you posted, which I think will perfectly solve my problem, and I'll check back with you to let you know how it's going. Once again thank you so much!!!

• Members

Thanks! I screwed up on one of the sentences:

It doesn't matter what the waveforms sound like if one song sounds like it is louder than the other.

This should read:

It doesn't matter what the waveforms LOOK like if one song sounds like it is louder than the other.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words!

• Members

suggest me some softwares for compressing the songs like that

I use Pro Tools LE.

You can use just about anything that has compression, though, whether it's Audacity or Reaper or Logic or Garageband or whatever.

I should point out that although not ideal, iTunes can raise/lower the volume of your songs. If you have one or two songs on a CD you're about to burn that are much louder than the rest, you can lower them easily in iTunes.

Archived