Epi Les Paul Special to Junior Conversion...Opinions Please!.

Ebsy

• Members

So around 10 years ago I was given my first Electric guitar an Epiphone Les Paul Special, I played the {censored} out of the thing and it's been collecting dust ever since I 'upgraded'. It's this model

274841.jpg

Mine is fairly beaten up though, lots of scratches, dings and rusted screws.

With the recent threads from Frets99 and OnBongos praising this Epi I decided to drag it from it's resting place and coupled with my current GAS for a Gibby LP Junior, an idea came to me....Convert the special into a Junior!. :thu:

Here's my plan.

Rip the neck pickup out

Apply an Epi Junior pickguard

Replace current {censored} samsung bridge pickup with something a bit different.

I know they should have a P-90 by default but at first I was thinking of putting a Filtertron (style) in there but after a swift photoshop mockup, I'm not entirely convinced....

mockup.jpg

Can't decide whether I like the look of it or not. Any recommendations for a pickup to go in this thing?. I play all sorts of stuff so that's not really an issue.

Thanks

• Members

Try sticking a P-94 (a HB sized P-90) in there. You might want to replace the bridge with a wraparound and take the switch out. I can see it working. I did something similar. I took my special, and replaced everything. Switch, jack, pots, tuners, bridge and tailpiece, and pickups. Sounds great, and I only spent $80 bucks upgrading the hardware (minus pups).

• Members

Take it from someone who has tried.... the Dream 90 is not what you want in that guitar... You need a fairly hot, powerful P 90 in there... The Dream 90 is not a true P 90.. Its a standard single coil mounted on a HB size mounting plate... Its a clean sounding Alnico SC, but it will NOT sound like a P 90... bob

• Members

Originally posted by SPONGEBOB

Take it from someone who has tried.... the Dream 90 is not what you want in that guitar... You need a fairly hot, powerful P 90 in there... The Dream 90 is not a true P 90.. Its a standard single coil mounted on a HB size mounting plate... Its a clean sounding Alnico SC, but it will NOT sound like a P 90... bob

That's why an AIRLINE pup seems appropriate.

• Members

Originally posted by dan2002

Try sticking a P-94 (a HB sized P-90) in there. You might want to replace the bridge with a wraparound and take the switch out. I can see it working. I did something similar. I took my special, and replaced everything. Switch, jack, pots, tuners, bridge and tailpiece, and pickups. Sounds great, and I only spent $80 bucks upgrading the hardware (minus pups).

Do you have any pics?

I'm curious how you converted the stop tail setup into a wraparound setup.

• Members

Originally posted by Chorus_of_One

You want something that screams like a P90, fits into a HB spot, and snarls real nasty-like? Check these out...

Kilelr pickups, I can't even begin to give these enough praise.

What have you put them into? What positions? What kind of sounds?

I'm looking for some humbucker sized single coil to put into the neck of a Les Paul copy.

• Members

Originally posted by Gravity

Do you have any pics?

I'm curious how you converted the stop tail setup into a wraparound setup.

I was suggesting that he get a wraparound, my setup is still TOM-Tailpiece.

Originally posted by Gravity

What have you put them into? What positions? What kind of sounds?

I'm looking for some humbucker sized single coil to put into the neck of a Les Paul copy.

P-94. Most beautiful HB sized single coil ever.

Archived