Stripping a MIM standard Tele ?

woodsmandan

• Members

Anyone tried stripping the finish off a MIM std Tele ?

Can I possibly expect to find nice wood underneat ?

I'm guessing a 3 piece body...right?

And I would like to finish it natural with a light non glossy coat...any recommendations on products to use ?

Thanks !

• Members

you are prb better off selling it and looking for one of the natural finish FSR models from last year or other nat tele.

You may luck out and find something plesant under the finish but more likely you won't from what I have seen in the past. Multi pieces w/ no grain matching is typical of the ones I have seen from other's.

• Members

I asked a similar question about my MIM strat a few days ago. http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1300640&highlight=strat

What year is the Tele? I think Fender switched to alder from poplar a few years ago. I think there are alder veneers over several piece bodies in the newer MIMs. They probably wouldn't look all that good with a clear finish.

• Members
Originally posted by Soniq77

I just read somewhere that the MIM body could be comprised of up to 7 separate pieces. I wouldnt try it.

I stripped an older MIM Tele. Originally had a sparkle blue finish. Found a sunburst finish underneath!:eek: When I finally got rid of both finishes, found a body comprised of several pieces and a thin laminate over the top and bottom. Regardless, it was such an awesome sounding guitar...wish I still had it.:cry: If you do decide to strip it, use a heat gun. I used a chemical stripper from Home Depot and it took me 3 days of alternating between the chem and sanding. Serious pain!

• Members

All I can say is, I have a MIM tele (Nashville) and it's 3 piece ash body. It's actually very well matched (see the tele link in my sig)... at least in front. You can hardly tell it's 3 piece while looking the front face. The back is different story.

The quallity of the wood is actually the reason why I don't like solid coloured guitars.

;)

Archived