Gibson Gothic II Les Paul ???

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

Sorry to cross post this, but I wanted as much feedback as I could get. It`s hard because a lot of you guys won`t hang on the Amp forum and they won`t hang over here. Seems sorta silly to me.

Anyway....

Has anyone actually seen or played one of these in person yet? I guess they are a MF "exclusive" so I can`t find any info outside of the MF description and pics. It`s not listed on the Gibson website, unless I just missed it.

* Is it basically just a LP Studio with "Gothic" black finish and EMG`s?

* Normal dimensions/thickness and construction methods?

* Does it include a HSC or gigbag? MF lists it with a gigbag, but their pics show it with a Gibson LP HSC.

* The big question. Does it have a rosewood fretboard like MF says or an ebony board like the pics look?

* It the damn thing worth $1,300 when I can get an Edwards LP Custom with EMG`s for less than $1,000?

Questions, questions, questions.......

Eric

P.S.- Sorry, here`s a link for the MF listing.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-LP-Studio-Gothic-II-Electric-Guitar-with-EMG-Pickups?sku=518931

• Members

I also think the ESP Eclipse is sexy, but I already have an EC-1000 which is basically the same thing. I`ve played both and there is not enough of a difference to buy another one. IMHO that is. Honestly, they sounded almost exactly the same through my amp and the difference in feel was negligable to say the least. Other than the 22 or 24 fret difference, it boiled down to cosmetics. Not enough for me.

I really wanted to capture the heavy, chunky LP vibe with my next single cut. The Eclipse just doesn`t have it.

I wouldn`t consider the LP Gothic II if it doesn`t have an ebony fretboard. The MF description says rosewood, but the pics definitaly look like ebony. I wonder if it`s just a mistake in the MF description?

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by timmy210

I think EMG's will make all your guitars sound the same anyways
:o
. Plus that studio isnt much bigger than the Eclipse. I'd say look at some edwards or something from Ishibashi.

They would be thicker in a les paul.

• Members

Not in the one he's looking at, the body is thinner than normal and pretty close to his EC-1000 so I bet they both sound pretty close to one another. I still doubt the EMG's would sound thicker though, sound the same to me.

• Members

You can generally find a used original Gothic Studio Les Paul on eBay for $600-$700 and then you could put EMGs in it. I know for sure that they had ebony fret boards. It's strange that the Gibson site doesn't list the Gothic II as one of its products.

Archived