yamaha AES 620

winnston

• Members

I played one in a store. The build quality is very good. I believe Guitar Player magazine gave it some kind of award, eg. GP Pick. It sells for about $500 on the street without a case. I would assume its quality is as good or better than a typical Mexican Strat. I believe one of the pickups (the bridge I think) is a Seymour Duncan so the hardware may be more expensive. I think a Mexican Strat is around $400 for the basic one.

• Members

I have it.

It is a great guitar. Great action. Great sustain.

I stuck gibson pickups on mine and it stands right up there with any gibson I've played (uh.. I"ve only played the cheaper ones). Definately a poor man's les paul.

Mine came with a duncan JB in the bridge. I don't know what came in the neck. A yamaha made pickup i think. I have never used the neck pickup on stage or studio... so I dont know how it sounds.

Sammy hagar is using the 620sh

I'm not sure how it differs from a regular 620.

He wouldn't endorse a piece of crap. He isn't that poor.

• Members

Originally posted by BoozeBooze

I have it.

It is a great guitar. Great action. Great sustain.

I stuck gibson pickups on mine and it stands right up there with any gibson I've played (uh.. I"ve only played the cheaper ones). Definately a poor man's les paul.

Mine came with a duncan JB in the bridge. I don't know what came in the neck. A yamaha made pickup i think. I have never used the neck pickup on stage or studio... so I dont know how it sounds.

Sammy hagar is using the 620sh

I'm not sure how it differs from a regular 620.

He wouldn't endorse a piece of crap. He isn't that poor.

the sh has a quilted rather than flame maple top and... well is the sammy hagar model .... that's about it as far as i understand. (there's a "cabo wabo" inlay at the 12th fret)

• Members

I played one in a store. What I remember is how comfortable it was to play, nice contour, well balanced and how it looked and felt like quality. The neck and fret work were superb but this is a Yamaha "trait" so no surprises for me there. Also, the design of the bridge is very nice, I find. Very good looking guitar. I personnally prefer the flame top rather than the quilt top but that's just a taste.

• 10 months later...

Archived