/I admit it I'm a bad musician, and I'm jealous.

Weldon51

• Members

I play my trade as a writer, and I'm reasonably successful at that- they pay me, and I get published in literary journals, and I have a book published too.

But, I long to be a decent musician.

I used to play a lovely pearwood tenor recorder, and I could play some rondes, and some other hokey tunes.

Then I took up the oboe for four years, and my teacher told me. "Well, at least you're enthusiastic." Fact was, I practised more than anyone else in my class and still came last.

Finally, I opted for electric guitar. "Even rock stars can play that, and look how dumb they are!"

Nope, 11 years later of practice and playing and I can still only recognise 3 intervals by ear (minor 3, 4, 5), and god help me, I can't pick up a chord of more than three notes.

Still, I can play a few jazz melodies, and chord progressions. The Beatle's "Blackbird" and various hack rock pieces. 12 Bar blues. I practise an hour a day. Metallica's "Blackened" minus the solo.

Should I give up?

• Members

I am jealous that at least you have time to practice.

Between work, wife and kid I am lucky if I pick up my guitar for an hour once a week.

So, appreciate what you have and enjoy it! I would be more than happy to have the time to practice once a day.

• Members

Look, I just want to say that this isn't a "poor me" post.

There's a pleasure in music that comes whether or not you're a virtuoso. There's a pleasure in appreciating those who are virtuosos, and there's a little biting bit int he the back of my mind that wishes I was them.

Still, no-one's tried to shut me up yet..

• Members

As a fellow writer, I will give you a nuanced, smarty pants answer.

Do give up. Give up the contest. Your original post is full of comparisons, both actual and implied.

You played some songs on the recorder, and you imply that, because it was a limited group of songs, your performances were limited. By implication, other recorder players might have had much more success.

You played the oboe for 4 years, but your teacher implicitly acknowledged that you had less talent than the other students. You made that judgment explicit, saying that practices more than anyone in the class but "still came last."

Then you took up electric guitar, and you have had, once again, limited success.

As you must see, you are in a hopeless situation. You have less ability than others, and the comparisons between you and others will always leave you in the deficit column. Lacking. Less capable. Less talented. Less able.

I'm sure you can see my labored wisdom heading down the track. Everyone cheer for the wisdom train!! Yes, that's right. You need to quit MAKING these comparisons. They are pointless.

I recently read an Internet posting that made the case, convincingly, that Howling Wolf is not a particularly capable or inspired guitarist. But the poster acknowledged that it hardly mattered, because HW is an inspiring PERFORMER.

Wanna have fun playing the electric guitar? Just play. Leave the comparisons to others.

I love playing in bars. When I say that, people ask me why. Why bars, rather than outdoor concerts, coffee shops and so forth? Answer: because people in bars are usually drinking, and as they tank up, everything starts to sound better and better! By the end of the night, they are loving every note, cheering every song!

That's a silly thing for me to say, and I probably don't really mean it. Looking for comparisons between you and others makes about as much sense as me preferring drunken audiences!

• Members

Originally posted by Weldon51

Still, I can play a few jazz melodies, and chord progressions. The Beatle's "Blackbird" and various hack rock pieces. 12 Bar blues. I practise an hour a day. Metallica's "Blackened" minus the solo.

Sounds good. I know it ain't rawk but "You've got to accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, latch on to the affirmative, don't mess with Mister In-Between."

:thu:

Archived