High Output Pickups/ Good for legato- Dimarzio?

metalmania13

• Members

The HZ's in my Jackson are good for rythym but suck for lead. I was trying some Van Halen tapping and the notes were very low and unprononced. I need something hotter so these notes jump off the fretboard. Same deal with legato technique....and i't aint cause my technique is off.

I'm thinking Dimarzio, but I really dont care. Prefer passives....

• Members

Originally posted by marloni

van halen used low or medium output pickups most of his career. The PAF pro is a good all around pickup. i suggest it
:thu:

+1 i also think Paul Gilbert uses paf pro and i love his lead tone. i think it is great for lead work.

• Members

The key for such a pickup is to get something with an emphasis on mids and treble. You want something that can pick up individual notes with fluidity and not turn things into mush by having too much bottom end.

My recommednation? Dimarzio Steve Morse bridge. It's high gain enough to get you going but not so much to turn it all into a mess.

If memory serves me, it's one of Dimarzio's higher gain offerings (450mv or so) but the T/M/B rating is:

DimarzioDP200Chart.jpg

For high gain legato, there are few who do it like Morse.

• Members

Originally posted by metalmania13

I really like the Hot Rails in the bridge of my strat... any bridge humbuckers that resemble that type of sound??

High output, bright, responsive...

hot rails? those things have high output but it doesn't compare with regular size high output humbuckers. theyre not in the same league. the PAF pro is not the highest output bucker, about as hot as the hot rails i think. it's bright and got good amount of 'ooommph'. has great definition and dynamics. if you need more mids and bass you can go with the tone zone, but they have very loose bass. the PAF pro is tight and more natural sounding. the tone zone almost sounds like an active pickup.

• Members

Originally posted by suffocate

+1 i also think Paul Gilbert uses paf pro and i love his lead tone. i think it is great for lead work.

yeah, PG uses PAF pro on his ibanez as well as the tone zone. I like the overall sound of the PAF pro, good rhythm sound and very useable lead sound. but for leads, the tone zone has more mids and bass and individual notes kicks harder i think.

• Members

OK, well I was thinking about having the PAF Pro as the neck pup...so If I have it as the bridge, what would be a good neck compliment?

I currently use two paf pros on a guitar, neck and bridge. on the bridge it sounds great. but the neck pickup sounds too bassy and muddy. I can't EQ the neck pickup to blend well with the bridge. the PAF pro is very hot for a neck pickup. I plan to change it with regular PAF or air norton.

If you use a PAF pro on the neck, a super distortion or breed would work great with it. Or, you might also like the evolution (or evo2). .

• Members

The HZ's in my Jackson are good for rythym but suck for lead. I was trying some Van Halen tapping and the notes were very low and unprononced. I need something hotter so these notes jump off the fretboard. Same deal with legato technique....and i't aint cause my technique is off.

I'm thinking Dimarzio, but I really dont care. Prefer passives....

I love PAF Pro pickups. Most people only use them for the neck position, because they say they're too low output. Personally, though, it sounds incredibly hot in the bridge of my Strat; it's probably the hottest sounding pickup I've ever played through. I prefer DiMarzio's for shred/lead type stuff, because they're a lot more articulate than Duncans.

• Members

just my personal opinion

if i ever get another floyd eq'd guitar i think im gonna go with the dimarzio Mo Joe and Paf Joe set up...im using a Paf Pro in a string through now and i dig it over a high output pickup ( JB ) i have in another guitar just like it except one is all mahagony and the other has a maple cap..but anyway the pro is nice clear and pronounce all i have to do is turn the gain up a notch , notch and a half and sounds as hot as the JB but clearer so thats why i want the above mentioned since the mo joe is a paf pro thats a tad hotter..i see some on here say that a high output pickup and a trem can get muddy so theres my reasoning for the mo jo and paf joe..but again just my .02:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Metal|Boy

I have a HZ3 in my new Jackson and legato/tapping is not very loud too, but it has a EMG PA2 preamp and with it it's pretty good
:cool::thu:

I have EMG H3's as well which are stock pickups in my jackson slsmg. it's not a sucky pickup but it's not great either. the H3's lacks definition. notes don't cut through well. in my opinion, the PAF pro sounds similar to the H3 but with more clarity and punch.

Archived