P90 & Humbucker in same guitar?

LAracer

• Members

Do any guitars have, say, a P90 in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge? Would it be a stupid idea for me to do this in my Schecter C1? How would the "middle" switch position work? (shouldn't be that different from the "2" position in a fat strat, right?; how are they wired?).

• Members

Man I can't believe you posted a pic from Murch!

That place is literally 10 minutes from me. They're part of the Long and McQuade conglomerate now. I always kinda felt the employees were a little uppity in there. Not really willing to help out that much. Even after showing your face a few times. :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by LAracer

Do any guitars have, say, a P90 in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge? Would it be a stupid idea for me to do this in my Schecter C1? How would the "middle" switch position work? (shouldn't be that different from the "2" position in a fat strat, right?; how are they wired?).

Tom Scholtz's old gold top has a P-90 in front and a humbucker in the back.....and he did all the Boston stuff with that guitar, and i've seen him use it on stage on several occasions.....sounds pretty good to me.....

• Members

Originally posted by Edward

Quite a few guitars in the Duesenberg range are configured that way...

Both solid bodies and hollow / semis.

Cool. Thanks for all the responses.

So how 'bout the wiring? Can I wire the middle position to be hum cancelling? Would I need to split the humbucker in that position? How would that sound? The middle position in a HH guitar is a useful one; I'd hate to completely loose it.

Sorry if these are stupid questions (I know, "there are no stupid questions; only stupid people"). I'm quite familiar with the wiring in my SSS strat, but I have no hands-on experience with humbuckers or P90s.

• Members

Originally posted by bman9922

I have a Valley Arts Larry Carlton Special with a P90 in the neck and a Lil 59 in the bridge. I love it. I find it very versatile.

Awesome. What's the middle switch position like? Do you know how its wired?

• Members

Cool. Thanks for all the responses.

So how 'bout the wiring? Can I wire the middle position to be hum cancelling? Would I need to split the humbucker in that position? How would that sound? The middle position in a HH guitar is a useful one; I'd hate to completely loose it.

Sorry if these are stupid questions (I know, "there are no stupid questions; only stupid
people
"). I'm quite familiar with the wiring in my SSS strat, but I have no hands-on experience with humbuckers or P90s.

Uhm... I think you should be able to do it ok, but I'm no expert. Here's a bump, y'all, though....

• Members

Originally posted by Edward

Uhm... I think you should be able to do it ok, but I'm no expert. Here's a bump, y'all, though....

Ta very much.

Btw, I think I might just be a moron; I think that what I'm talking about is pretty much the same configuration as the Squier 51

• Members

You could certainly wire a HB and P-90 to play together. They would not (AFAIK) be noiseless in that position, as the P-90 would not be wired to a pickup of the 'opposite' polarity, as it would if it were wired to a RW/RP P-90.

Still, with a HB in the bridge, you could certainly deal with noisy venues just by using that, and thoroughly shielding the guitar would go a long way toward quieting that P-90.

I've given some thought to throwing a P-90 in a '51, myself; I'm just waiting for Batoman's to come down a bit more. :D

Larry

• Members

Originally posted by larryguitar

They would not (AFAIK) be noiseless in that position, as the P-90 would not be wired to a pickup of the 'opposite' polarity, as it would if it were wired to a RW/RP P-90.

That would be my primary concern. So I guess 51's aren't hum-cancelling in the middle position? (I only played one once, and I don't remember).

• Members

That would be my primary concern. So I guess 51's aren't hum-cancelling in the middle position? (I only played one once, and I don't remember).

Never played one, but if the single coil is RW/RP the coil that's 'on' when the HB is tapped, it should cancel hum in that position.

I think.

Larry

• Members

Originally posted by larryguitar

Never played one, but if the single coil is RW/RP the coil that's 'on' when the HB is tapped, it should cancel hum in that position.

I think.

Larry

That would be my guess too. If I did replace my neck HB with a P90, I'd go with a GFS Dream 90, which I think are reverse wound, so, as you say, in the middle&split position, they should be hum-cancelling.

I guess I'll just have to try it and see :)

Archived