Cubase 5

• Members

Here we are on the cusp of the big release announcement and multiple details have already slipped out. Cubase looks to leapfrog or get level with the competition with some new add-ons and new functionality.

Honestly, this daw mfg "try to leapfrog" game is good for all of us as long as prices remain relatively static. A couple of hundred bucks every couple of years 'aint too bad as studio expenses go.

Anyway... a few things that interest me about Cubase 5 so far (pre the full-details release)...

- Advanced batch export. I assume this means comprehensive stem rendering. Lord, I've waited long enough for this. :thu:

- Melodyne style pitch correction in the audio editor. "VariAudio".

- Tempo track automation on the timeline... finally.

- Some nice new VSTi's and plugs including a convo verb.

- It also appears there are some new midi tools, specifics to come in a couple of hours when Namm opens.

I think the full "new features" list will expose some other nice new stuff.

It appears as if the move for many daw mfg's is to keep as much as possible in-house rather than having users going third party. There are 3 (count 'em 3) different and new "beat making" VSTi's in Cubase 5.

With the high quality plugs and enourmous sample library already from 4, and I assume more samples to come with 5 for these new instruments, some users may not need anything else.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=703580

Life is good for everyone when Apple, Digi, Steiny, Samp, Cockos etc, etc keep trying to one-up each other to increase market share. :thu:

• Members

How was 3 and 4 as far as software bugs and patches?

I guess what I'm trying to say is ...how long does it generally take Steinburg and the "early adopters" to get the significant bugs out of it? (For those people whom may not be as inclined to test and patch, and that kind of stuff....when is the water expected to be safe and warm enough to "jump in"so to speak?) I'm not bashing it, dont get me wrong.

• Members

I hear, from people actually using it now that it's really stable. I also hear there are some bugs that need fixing and a maintenance release will address those.

The dreaded mute/solo bug is still there but many others have been addressed.

Of course, depending on who you are what you do and how you work you may never encounter any of them. I didn't get on 4 until 4.1 so for me 4 has been great.

Archived