People with no knowledge who are in denial

The NeonSoul

• Members

Originally posted by Jimi Ray Halen

I can play anything we do on either my LP or my fat Strat and it will sound good. I've done it.

But the LP doesn't have a whammy bar or sc pickups.

And the Strat doesn't have the 2 vols., 2 tones, and pup selector, nor quite as deep of a tone.

But will the average alcohol consuming bar patron (my usual audience) notice the difference? Hell no!

I know a guy who plays his version of Eruption on a LP. He pushes on the back of the headstock to get a little pitch drop but it doesn't sound remotely like a dive bomb.

It drives me crazy because of this and he doesn't even try to get close to the record.

But he gets a big hand every time.

So your average listener doesn't have a clue. Nor do they care. Makes you wonder why you go thru all the trouble of worrying about attention to detail. But it's a personal thing and everybody's different.

Unless you play straight thru a clean amp with no effects MOST people will not distinguish a nice Strat tone from a nice LP tone (for example). And even then only a handfull will. They just know what sounds good to them.

Non-musicians hear music differently than do musicians. While you're listening to the guitar and thinking "LP neck pickup", they're thinking "the singer has a nice voice and I like that guitar riff".

I've played with good musicians who didn't care what gear you used. They only cared if it sounded good or not.

Big picture as opposed to OCD (which I've been known to suffer bouts of).

+1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Non-musicians hear music differently than do musicians. While you're listening to the guitar and thinking "LP neck pickup", they're thinking "the singer has a nice voice and I like that guitar riff".

You said a mouthful.

Learning to play guitar has completely ruined casual listening for me. It's all 'what scale is that' and 'wonder how he's getting that tone' instead of just enjoying the {censored} like everybody else is. Non-players are lucky in that sense, blissful ignorance. As for NeonSoul's buddy, maybe leave off the blissful part.

• Members
Originally posted by jerry_picker

That seems like such a no brainer. I mean, what is the point of all these different pickups, choices of body, neck and fingerboard wood, types of bridges, types of nuts, alloys in strings, string gauges.

If anyone cannot hear the difference between Roger McGuinn's Ric on Eight Miles High and Clapton's 335 on Crossroads, they need to see an audiologist and/or a psychiatrist.

For the most part I agree..... though as far as the guitar industry is concerned, the reason to make lots of different variations is precisely because we can ll be convinced that we "need" so many different tones! ;)

• Members
Originally posted by Klisk

+1. There's a misconception with bass, but it's kind of understandable.

Guitar is hard to pick up and run with. It's harder to start playing. Once you figure it out, it comes a lot easier though.

Bass, on the other hand, is easier to pick up and run with. It's easier to start playing... But once you get passed that, you realize it's just plain out difficulty to be a proficient bassist, even if you're comfortable playing it.

In a way, I'm apt to say bass is more challenging than guitar in the long run. But guitar really does smack you around when you first start off.

Bass is very easy to play if you're going to just play root notes like it's another sort of rhythm guitar. Like i do, for the most part. :p:) But yes, it's a harder one to become very proficient at - not least, IMO, because there's an even bigger danger of overplaying than there is with guitar.

• Members

I know a guy who plays his version of Eruption on a LP. He pushes on the back of the headstock to get a little pitch drop but it doesn't sound remotely like a dive bomb.

It drives me crazy because of this and he doesn't even try to get close to the record.

But he gets a big hand every time.

So your average listener doesn't have a clue.

Maybe we're the ones that can't see the wood for the trees. Personally, i loathe Eruption - it's the ultimate triumph of technique over musicality. I'm no populaist by any means, but music without any discernable melody becomes very, very boring, very very quickly. Guitar gymnastics are impressive. Once. After that, you've seen it all before and if there's no music to enjoy, what's the point. Personal feelings on that particular "song" aside, however, as a general rule unless I've paid to see a tribute act, where the whole point is to sound as close to the record as possible, I'd a thousand times rather hear a band do their own thing with a song rather than slavishly copy the recorded sound of the original. If I wanted to listen to it just like on the record, I could stay home and do that.

• Members

Originally posted by Edward

Maybe we're the ones that can't see the wood for the trees. I'd a thousand times rather hear a band do their own thing with a song rather than slavishly copy the recorded sound of the original. If I wanted to listen to it just like on the record, I could stay home and do that.

+1:thu:

• Members

Hearing stuff is to a large extent, a matter of training and knowing what to listen for.

I can usually tell the difference between a Les Paul and a Telecaster, but generally I cannot distinguish between the future tense and the conditional tense in the spoken French language.

Then, again, on the other hand, the world is chock full of blowhard idiots, and rock and roll and guitars seem to attract them like magnets.

• Members
Originally posted by Edward

For the most part I agree..... though as far as the guitar industry is concerned, the reason to make lots of different variations is precisely because we can ll be convinced that we "need" so many different tones!
;)

:thu:

We must be careful about that. :D

• Members
Originally posted by id-man

You said a mouthful.

Learning to play guitar has completely ruined casual listening for me. It's all 'what scale is that' and 'wonder how he's getting that tone' instead of just enjoying the {censored} like everybody else is. Non-players are lucky in that sense, blissful ignorance. As for NeonSoul's buddy, maybe leave off the blissful part.

+1

I cant listen to anything without listening for the guitar tone.

:o

Archived