Changing The strings?

burton4snow

• Members

I'm a newbie and I just got a Ephipone SG. I want to know the correct way to change the strings because I don't want to screw it up. Please help.

I would submit a Picture of my new guitar and amp but the picture is too big of a file. So I'm not sure how to stick a picture in. I just took it with my digital camera. Oh Well

• Members

there's no real right way...many many people do it differently. just make sure you don't go cutting off the strings with full tension!

here's how i do mine:

loosen 1 string at a time from the pegheads, then when they're nice and loose i snip the string at the peghead, then run it through the bridge (i snip the string so that i don't have some nasty edge that i can accidentally drag across the body of the guitar and make a nice gash). I do this to all 6 strings, so that when I'm done I don't have any strings left on the guitar at all.

Then i start with the low E string, put the string in position through the bridge, then slide the top end through the hole in the peghead and hold it there between my thumb and first finger of my left hand. I then take my right hand and at the 5th fret I hold the string to my palm with my middle finger, and put my pointer finger totally straightened out perpendicular to the fretboard (so basically i'm making slack in the string). I then bend the end of the string where my left fingers are now as my reference point for where to start the string winding. I find this method works exceptionally well for giving me just the right amount of string to wind.

I then start tuning that string up to pitch, cut off the excess string at the peg head, and continue on with the next string (so the A string). I then tune the next string (in this case the A string) to the E string. You will find that after you're all done your tuning will be low, but it will ensure that you're not tuning the strings too sharply.

After all 6 strings are on, tune em up to the correct pitch! You can stretch them too if you want, though I rarely do.

• Members

No offence dwerlin, that didn't make any sense at all, noir is it the "right" way to wind on a string.

Do some research on line.

Google it.

Read a bunch of different tips and techniques.

Expect to screw up the first time.

Expect it to look like crap the first 3-4 times.

Once you "get" how to do it, its a piece of cake.

• Members

If you have the string-through pegs just be careful of the string ends and don't cut yourself. I know it sounds stupid but it's actually really annoying to have finger tip cuts and be a guitar player.

Not to scare you or anything but I once cut myself with on a cheap set of strings I had on a Squier years ago. It was just a prick to a finger on my right hand so I just kept stringing. Within 10 minutes the whole right side of my neck and the glands below my jaw on that side had swollen up nastily. I attributed it to bacteria and bad luck. About 3 weeks ago I was swapping a pup on a bass and pricked my right hand with the output wire from the pup. Same crap- side of my neck and glands got very swollen and painful. :freak:

So yeah just be careful with what you're doing and take your time. It's not hard.

• Members

sorry if i didn't make any sense...i FINALLY found pictures of what i'm talking about...so hopefully this makes sense to you! This is for standard tuners...

http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/howtostring.html

i've been stringing my guitars like that for years and have had zero problems.

Originally posted by Stugots

No offence dwerlin, that didn't make any sense at all, noir is it the "right" way to wind on a string.

hey, if it's good enough for Elixir, it's good enough for me.

• Members

There's a U.K. book (available in the U.S.) called Totally Guitar published by Backbeat books that has very detailed information on re-stringing, setups and just about everything you need to know about all types of guitars, playing styles, everything.

This a good book to have, seriously !

Archived