Painting a pickguard: what to do?

J.B. Lee

• Members

I've just bought a cream colored pickguard (for $1.26!) off of eBay for my 335 copy. My plan is to mask off the edges and paint the rest black, giving the effect of a black pickguard with cream colored binding. My question is what kind of paint should I use so it doesn't get torn all to hell? My hunch is that I can use any old black spray paint as long as I can find a tough as nails clearcoat. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm also open to tips on how best to mask off the edges. Tape would be nearly impossible for this one. I'm thinking of tracking down some stuff called "Resist" which we used in art class. You paint it on stuff and it dries all rubbery. When you're done painting it peels right off. I'll just get a real tiny brush...

• Members

the trick isn't so much the paint as the prep. Normal spray paint won't stick to the plastic worth a crap. It will go on OK, but peel up later when you scratch it.

There are some preps (chemicals) that will prep the pastic so it will take paint better. Sorry I don't recall the name of them at the moment. Also, a little sanding to rough up the surface might help.

After that, several coats of a good satin polyurathane should seal it up OK.

You might have better luck gluing an actual piece of black plastic to the PG.

• Members

Originally posted by dimmypage

wipe the pic guard down with laquer thinner first.

Hmmm, what will that do?

Googled Krylon Fusion and it seems to be the thing to get. Luckily I've only got like $4.26 in this pickguard, so I can afford to be experimental. I coul've gotten an AllParts Gibson style guard for like $22 shipped, so I don't want to invest a ton of money here.

Archived