New BC Rich made in China NJ series

Burning Babies

• Members

Anyone have any experience with these relative to the older Korean neckthru NJs? I'm particularly concerned with the build quality (I'll replace the electronics, so I don't care about that at all). I haven't found any of the new ones in my neck of the woods, but I really like my older NJ neckthrus. I'm wondering if its worth my time to keep looking for the new MIC versions.

Oh, and this is my first post here, so hi.:wave:

• Members

I'd wait and get one of the NT series. Replaces NJ's except for classic series Bich, eagle & Mockingbird. The NT's are neck thru. Very nice imo floyd lic trem. Full body see thru black, purple, & red finishes with matching neck & headstock. Warlock, Bich, & Mockingbird shapes. Lower price then the clasics, floyd lic trem instead of tune-o-matic stopbar tailpeice. Or alternately if prefers nontrem the New IT Warlock or V. 3/4 neck thru body wit invisibolt design. Thru body bridge. 3 peice mapleneck with ebony fretboard. 24 jumbo frets. Btw the NJ classic neck thrus are medium jumbo rather then jumbo frets.

Overall thinks the NT and IT series are nicer then the classic Nj's. Owns custom american warlock bass & IT warlock guitar btw. Has owned & bought as gifts various Platinum, Platinum pro, & Nj series too over the past 20 years.

• Members

Thank's for the replies guys.

Originally posted by Darkstorm

I'd wait and get one of the NT series. Replaces NJ's except for classic series Bich, eagle & Mockingbird. The NT's are neck thru. Very nice imo floyd lic trem. Full body see thru black, purple, & red finishes with matching neck & headstock. Warlock, Bich, & Mockingbird shapes. Lower price then the clasics, floyd lic trem instead of tune-o-matic stopbar tailpeice. Or alternately if prefers nontrem the New IT Warlock or V. 3/4 neck thru body wit invisibolt design. Thru body bridge. 3 peice mapleneck with ebony fretboard. 24 jumbo frets. Btw the NJ classic neck thrus are medium jumbo rather then jumbo frets.

So I guess what is confusing me are the brand new neckthrus I'm seeing on Ebay. BCR discontinued all their import neckthrus except the classic series for a year or two. Now their web site is advertising the "NT" series, but the new BCRs on ebay have the old "NJ" on the headstock, and these are models that were never offered before this year. What gives?

• Members

Originally posted by Burning Babies

Thank's for the replies guys.

So I guess what is confusing me are the brand new neckthrus I'm seeing on Ebay. BCR discontinued all their import neckthrus except the classic series for a year or two. Now their web site is advertising the "NT" series, but the new BCRs on ebay have the old "NJ" on the headstock, and these are models that were never offered before this year. What gives?

NJ's have been offered for a while.

• Members

Originally posted by Burning Babies

Right, but except for the classic series, they were supposed to be renamed NTs (according to the BCR website), and yet I'm still seeing new guitars labled NJs.

Well the new NTs haven't been out that long, so the probably made NJ's at the start of 2006, and ended when the NTs came out.

That's my theory if I understand what you are saying.

• Members

2006 has been an absurd year in many ways for BC Rich. First they where going to do another round of NJs with real floyds. Luckilly they quickly scrapped that idea and went for NT (neck thru) with very nice floyd lic trems like theyd been useing before. They have had limited runs of neck thru NJs. Most stores didnt carry those. Used maple wings rather then mahogany on some wich furthermade them unpopular. Then they anounced NT guitars and basses. So far very few places carry the NT as yet. They also came ot with the IT series and some special edition guitars. But for at least 2006, no Nt, IT or SE series will have serial numbers Which in itself seems absurd. BC Rich says serial numbers will be put on their imports again starting next year. They also opened a chinese actory to do lower end (bronze) and from what I;e seenof the NJ classics, some at least got made in korea and some in china.

Diff I noticed between classic NJ china nd classic nj korean are: better fretwork and fretboard inlays on the korean made ones. Supposedly they now have two chinese factories. One for the cheaper bronze and box set series and one for the better platinum on up.

Its also quite possible the NJ neck thrus your seeing on ebay are the overstock and left overs of older neck thrus NJ's with diff woods for body (aka maple and pine). Musicians friend for example recently came across a batch of yr 2000 NJ warlock basses their bowing out for $300. rosewood instead of ebony fretboard seems a good wqay to tell if its older version. As older versions had rosewood fretboards. Also is it black or smokey chrome hardware? Newer ones have black, older ones have smokey chrome.

Overall I find BC Rich Platium on up very good guitars and basses. Yes for a brief period at least you had N classics and maybe some othersbeig made in two diff factories. Some in one others in the others. The chinese NJ classics I saw where not as well made as the koreans. Most notable in fretwork and fretboard inlays. Suposedly this has changed and all are now being made in same factory. As long as the store you get it thru has the std 45 day satisfaction gaurantee you shoud be fine buying one online.

I do think you get more guitar and for less money too, with the newer NT series compared to the Nj classics. Nice finishes too. The red and blue NJ classics just dont look right to me with the central half uncolored. Whereas the NT's are whole body colored. Music123 and Musiciansfriend being the only stores I know of that have any in stock so far. While the medium jumbo frets on the classics are ok, liikes regular jumbo like on the rest of their guitars better personally.

Construction wise main diff between Nj classic and the NT series is NJ classics got walnut runner between neck and body wing. And no color tintingon the part of neck thru body. Whereas Nt's are whole body colored. Black seethru, purple seethru, and red seethru. And floyd lic trem on Nts versus nontrem on classics. Why pay more for the classic when you get less then you do with NT is my main question I'd ask myself. cant justify the more cost for less myself.

BTw neck thru NJ warlock guitars and basses have been availablke for several years. But very few places carried them. So few knew of them. Not sure how many years neck thru mockingbird Njs have been similairly available but hard to find. Thats probably what your seeing on ebay. ask for the serial number pic to determine when it was made. If no serial number, its a 2006.

• Members

i just got myself a new (made in China) NJ Classic Mockingbird over the weekend. Unfortunately, i haven't had a chance to play it through my amp yet, since my amp is not at my house. But it plays VERY nicely, and looks great. Played one of the Korean ones at Guitar Center a couple of months ago, as well as the Bich, and this one feels pretty much the same to me. i was a bit worried about the quality of the Chinese ones, but so far this one seems to be fine. Although, like you, i'll probably end up replacing the electronics (and hardware) as well.

• Members

I think the NJ did stand for Nagoya Japan back in the day, but not anymore. I am assuming they are calling these that just because they always have perhaps? I have a couple of mid 80's NJ Eagles that are pretty solid. One is badass and the other isnt quite as good. In fact, one of them is a BC RICO which I understand is fairly rare.

100_0381.jpg' alt='>'>100_0370.jpg' alt='>'>

Archived