Question about late 90's Fender US standard strats.

Clarknova

• Members

When it became known as just the American Series, did they add a bulkier tremelo unit to the the thing like they did this year with the Mexican Standards?

The reason why I'm asking this is because mine doesn't look as big as it does in the pictures that Fender is posing of the befor and after products. That and my friend resently got an '84 Japaness fat strat and his tremelo block looks a lot bigger than mine.(before you say it, I can not post picts of the thing.) I'm not worried about it, just curious.

One request: Don't be dicks about this, just want a straight answer of either yes or no. Thank you.

• Members

Same trems; the main differences are the pups (staggered poles vs. flat) and no-load tone pot, rolled fretboard edges, H-S-H routing and subtraction of one string tree. Some of these changes (tone pot & routing) started showing up on the later American Standards.

I have a few of each, and they're all good.

• Members

Could I possibley buy a bigger vabrato unit? When did they start doing that with pots? My guitar, I've just found out, has a 97 body but a 98 neck. Totally crazy! And do the new pickups sound that much better compared to the older ones?

Archived