2 point trem

StratAttackJack

• Members

I've got an American deluxe strat with a floating 2 pt tremolo that I want to set up totally flush to the body.

The only problem is when I tried this my high E and B strings were fretting out before completing even a half bend above the 12th fret. THis pisses me off!!

I don't have much experience with the 2 point....I've got a standard MIM strat with a vintage bridge that I have set up flush with no bending issues whatsoever.

I really don't want to sell the guitar but if I do it could help finance an EJ that I've been gassing over....I'm just afraid I'd end up regretting it if I sold it.

• Members

If you lowered the bridge to make it flush to the body, you will have to compensate by raising the saddles the same amount to get the same action. I would suggest raising each one (remember to raise both screws on a saddle) a quarter turn at a time untill you get the action where you like it and it stops fretting out.

• Members

one thing to also keep in mind is that string tension can be greatly controlled by the angle of the string coming over the saddle. (assuming the bridge is set floating) high saddles would give high string tension and low saddles would give less string tension. with the bridge set flush, there's obviously a limited amount of bridge height adjustment, but just keep in mind that there's many combinations of bridge and saddle height that will give you the same action with very different feels. (that's why i LOVE fender 2 point bridges)

ps, you can also raise one side of the bridge if you need to. idk if that helps for making it flush but its another perk.

• Members

Thanks for the replies guys.

Actually I did take it to a guy for set up (since I hate floating bridges) and all he did was tighten the claw down so the back end was tight to the body, but left the 2 pivot screws alone. This guy is good and assured me it would be fine since I liked the action the way it was, but it started driving me crazy not being completely flush so I tried to "fix" it myself. Lol, I'll never do that again.
I'll just take it back to him with hurt pride and be firm with as to how I want it set up.

• Members

Yeah, as stated above by the others, it's just part of owning a guitar. You set the trem plate flush with the body, that lowers the strings a little bit, so then you have to raise the saddle gradually until the "fretting out" spots are eliminated.

You should buy yourself some little allen wrenches if you've lost yours. Even cheapo Squiers come with them in the deal.

You guy buy guitar tools that are like a jack knife that contain most of the common allen screw wrench and screwdriver sizes you normally need.

I have the "Roadie Wrench" but I prefer inidividual tools since they aren't as bulky to use.

This doesn't mean this should end your EJ GAS. :D

2 point trems have nicer action, but folks like Eric Johnson believe the vintage 6 screw trems produce a little better tone.

• Members
Originally posted by GAS Man

This doesn't mean this should end your EJ GAS.
:D

Haha, yeah believe me man until I have one of my own I'll be suffering. I hate red guitars, but this CAR EJ I played the other day .......oh don't get me started!

Anyhow I'm sure I'd regret it if I sold the deluxe (it has a killer v neck) so I'll just calmly step away from it till I can get it fixed. Its either wait until monday when my guy can set it back up again, or .....-gasp- .....by the correct tool and do it myself :eek:

• Members
Originally posted by StratAttackJack

Haha, yeah believe me man until I have one of my own I'll be suffering. I hate red guitars, but this CAR EJ I played the other day .......oh don't get me started!

Anyhow I'm sure I'd regret it if I sold the deluxe (it has a killer v neck) so I'll just calmly step away from it till I can get it fixed. Its either wait until monday when my guy can set it back up again, or .....-gasp- .....by the correct tool and do it myself
:eek:

I have two Deluxe Strats, one 50th Anniversary with an alder body, the other a Bad Boy Blue with an ash body. I just recently bought an SRV sig model.

Then my stepson calls me on the phone and says he's played an EJ and it's the best sounding strat he's ever played (that would be including mine :cry: ), so yeah, that got my
GAS fired up too.

But my 50th is already that brown sunburst so I'd hate to have two rather identical looking strats, but the stepson (who is a great player) said the candy red is also awesome looking in person.

Do you concur?

Archived