Switching pickups and tone pot

guitardude24

• Members

So, I bought a new guitar recently, an Ibanez SZ520, and it's beautiful and I love it to death...but the stock pups aren't awesome and the tone pot is scratchy, so I need to replace those.

Now, I was just thinking, if I'm switching the pups and the tone pot, why not just make the full up swtich to active pups...but then I'd have to find a way to get a 9volt in there.

So, that's probably not a great idea...

But, I am looking for some direction of pickups I should research! Here's a list of the bands and specific tones I like and would like to get close to. Keep in mind that this guitar is Mahogany with a maple top, rosewood fingerboard and string through tail.

Bridge pup:

I want heavy {censored} that is tight. I'm thinking riffing like Dream Theater, Alter Bridge...probably slightly detuned sound, like Eb or drop D tuning. It needs to rip peoples faces off but still be clear enough to not get muddy with open chords, etc...Harmonics are also a must

Neck pup:

I want a creamy lead sound. I love the tones of John Petrucci, especially his solo work, but it would be nice to get a little raw if i really dig in to the strings, you know what I mean? Also, it'd be nice to get some harmonics and maybe even squeels from a neck pup for once!

Overall, I also feed on sustain. My guitar is a set neck and doesn't have a trem, so the sustain is pretty good to begin with, but I want more, so keep that in mind also when suggesting!

If you couldn't tell, Dream Theater and Alter Bridge are two of my favorite bands, but I'm also getting into Breaking Benjamin and heavy rock like that.

Please give me some suggestions, opinions and direction! What brand of pups should I consider? Specific models would be great.

Looking forward to what you guys suggest! I suspect Dimarzio and Duncans will be suggested, but what specific models will get me the tones I require?!

Thanks

-Erik

P.S- What about pots, I know nothing about tone/vol pots, but I need to replace the tone pot cause it's scratchy when I turn it. How expensive are they? Are some better than others? Should I have someone else instal it for me, there's a Guitar Center close by to me, but that's all I know of.

Thanks!

• Moderators

Originally posted by guitardude24

So, I bought a new guitar recently, an Ibanez SZ520, and it's beautiful and I love it to death...but the stock pups aren't awesome and the tone pot is scratchy, so I need to replace those.

Now, I was just thinking, if I'm switching the pups and the tone pot, why not just make the full up swtich to active pups...but then I'd have to find a way to get a 9volt in there.

So, that's probably not a great idea...

But, I am looking for some direction of pickups I should research! Here's a list of the bands and specific tones I like and would like to get close to. Keep in mind that this guitar is Mahogany with a maple top, rosewood fingerboard and string through tail.

Bridge pup:

I want heavy {censored} that is tight. I'm thinking riffing like Dream Theater, Alter Bridge...probably slightly detuned sound, like Eb or drop D tuning. It needs to rip peoples faces off but still be clear enough to not get muddy with open chords, etc...Harmonics are also a must

Neck pup:

I want a creamy lead sound. I love the tones of John Petrucci, especially his solo work, but it would be nice to get a little raw if i really dig in to the strings, you know what I mean? Also, it'd be nice to get some harmonics and maybe even squeels from a neck pup for once!

Overall, I also feed on sustain. My guitar is a set neck and doesn't have a trem, so the sustain is pretty good to begin with, but I want more, so keep that in mind also when suggesting!

If you couldn't tell, Dream Theater and Alter Bridge are two of my favorite bands, but I'm also getting into Breaking Benjamin and heavy rock like that.

Please give me some suggestions, opinions and direction! What brand of pups should I consider? Specific models would be great.

Looking forward to what you guys suggest! I suspect Dimarzio and Duncans will be suggested, but what specific models will get me the tones I require?!

Thanks

-Erik

P.S- What about pots, I know nothing about tone/vol pots, but I need to replace the tone pot cause it's scratchy when I turn it. How expensive are they? Are some better than others? Should I have someone else instal it for me, there's a Guitar Center close by to me, but that's all I know of.

Thanks!

DiMarzios:)

Have a look at their home page and have a play......Freds, Nortons, will all do pretty much what you want. Try the tone selector. As for pots just use CTS, and theyre dead easy to change but try some contact cleaner on the one thats there.

• Members

Originally posted by Fosse Fox

DiMarzios:)

Have a look at their home page and have a play......Freds, Nortons, will all do pretty much what you want. Try the tone selector. As for pots just use CTS, and theyre dead easy to change but try some contact cleaner on the one thats there.

How's the D-Sonic sound? From what I read it looks like a good match, would you agree?

• Moderators

Originally posted by guitardude24

How's the D-Sonic sound? From what I read it looks like a good match, would you agree?

Peronally I'm a fan of Tone Zones, Breeds and the daddy, Super Distortions, but as I said, they'll all do a good job for you...Ibanez pups are usually dull. Just dont put SDs in there:p

Archived