What happened to the GFS reputation thread?

lefthandpath

• Members

Originally posted by Armitage

They're just "affordable" Korean pickups... the kind people pull out of their guitars... what'd you expect.

Actually I've pulled a lot more expensive pickups out of some of my guitars and replaced them with GFS pickups. They just plain sound better. Brighter. Clearer. More definition and character.

It kind of leaves some people in the dark that a pickup can be cheaper AND sound better...but what can I say? That's been my experience with GFS pickups.

I think it's just like the Gibson Les Paul thing. People spend thousands on a guitar and get really frustrated that a 400 dollar Korean guitar sounds just as good... and in some applications maybe even better. Nobody wants to think that they paid for brand name, country of manufacture and advertising...they want to think they bought TONE, QUALITY, and a superior tool for making music.

After decades dealing with guitars I've gotten over that hype.

GFS pickups sound great to me. If pickups that cost 200 dollars a pair sounded better I'd buy them. I can afford them. It's just that I've tried them and they've often sounded worse. The correlation between tone and price seems to be so random that I always try GFS pickups first.

• Members

Aha,even after decades a person can have a bad ear.

Gotta move the discussion on.

Problems with other Pickups include:
1:Ordered Bridge or Neck,took delivery of the wrong one.
2:Took delivery of a Guitar with one polepiece almost falling out,wax potting stripped and absent.
3:Took delivery of pickup with one pole piece at bizarre and ridicilous angle,a Duckbucker in this case.
4:Lack of information relating to pole spacing and fixing holes.
5:Gutars with bad sounding pickups,available online only.
6:Guitars with trash pickups aimed at complete beginners.

The problem with buying other named brands especially in the UK is that once you have tracked down the one vendor that actually has them you are well aware they have probalby been abused by customers and indeed the staff several times and they have them in stock because no one has bought them in store for that very reason.

The other issue is that you want to buy a set of specific pickups,they have them in neck or bridge but no middle or some other problem.

• Members

Aha,even after decades a person can have a bad ear.Problems with other Pickups include:

1:Ordered Bridge or Neck,took delivery of the wrong one.

2:Took delivery of a Guitar with one polepiece almost falling out,wax potting stripped and absent.

3:Took delivery of pickup with one pole piece at bizarre and ridicilous angle,a Duckbucker in this case.

4:Lack of information relating to pole spacing and fixing holes.

5:Gutars with bad sounding pickups,available online only.

6:Guitars with trash pickups aimed at complete beginners.

It must suck to be you because I've never had those problems with GFS. As a matter of fat I wasn't aware that GFS sold complete guitars. You were complaining about GFS weren't you? I mean...this being a GFS thread and all. Or did you go off into some other world complaining about {censored} that happened to you in general. ADD can be a bitch can't it?

• Members

The technology involved in making a pickup is pretty rudimentary-what sinks most imported pickups isn't their build quality, it's their tonal characteristics.

Just as with guitars, if you give a Korean factory the right specs for a pickup they'll build it accurately and well. It seems to me that GFS does the research, winds some examples and then gets the factory to duplicate it-I think they're ahead of the curve on this.

What you need with inexpensive pickups isn't better build quality, it's the 'ear' of a designer who can create the 'recipe' for a good sounding pickup. The factory then only needs to churn them out. If Jay has an ear that agrees with yours about tone, I don't see any reason his pickups can't sound as good as anybody's....

Larry

• Members

Originally posted by larryguitar

The technology involved in making a pickup is pretty rudimentary-what sinks most imported pickups isn't their build quality, it's their tonal characteristics.

Just as with guitars, if you give a Korean factory the right specs for a pickup they'll build it accurately and well. It seems to me that GFS does the research, winds some examples and then gets the factory to duplicate it-I think they're ahead of the curve on this.

What you need with inexpensive pickups isn't better build quality, it's the 'ear' of a designer who can create the 'recipe' for a good sounding pickup. The factory then only needs to churn them out. If Jay has an ear that agrees with yours about tone, I don't see any reason his pickups can't sound as good as anybody's....

Larry

i love the vintage '59's. i just got a fat paf but i like the vintage '59 better.

• Members

Love my dad's Vintage 59's, though I haven't been able to wire them up properly yet, They sound good even without a tone control! :)

As for the thread, either Jay requested it be removed (as it was tarnishing his rep), or the who posted it deleted because of sheer embarassment. We all defended Jay heartily.

• Members

I don't even know HOW to remove a thread- And have never done so.

If someone's got a beef they're free to air it- But if someone's making up stories or presenting an inaccurate portrayal of a purchase from us, and I am made aware of it- I'll come on and try and set the record straight.

Oh and I think the guy in this thread who presented a laundry list of problems was NOT referring to purchases from us (We don't sell Duncan products) just to purchases in general.

Jay

• Members

My Seymours and DiMarzios have fallen by the wayside, as GFS takes over my guitars. Love their overwound alnico pups...'buckers (Fat PAF) and singles.

Bought a bunch of hardware from them as well...tune-o-matics, tailpieces, tuners, speed knobs...all excellent.

• Members

Originally posted by Boogs

My Seymours and DiMarzios have fallen by the wayside, as GFS takes over my guitars. Love their overwound alnico pups...'buckers (Fat PAF) and singles.

Bought a bunch of hardware from them as well...tune-o-matics, tailpieces, tuners, speed knobs...all excellent.

Curious, have you tried the $16.95 clearance single sets?

• Members

Any decent manufacturer can make good pickups. The more expensive pickups were not made with magic fairy dust. If the design is good and the materials are good anyone can make a good pickup.

A coil of wire made in Korea is the same as a coil of wire made in the U.S.A. if it is the same wire and the same machine doing the winding.

Max

• Members

I got some Loudmouth in my Schecter double neck, and those kicks ass! I got several pickups from USA brands (mainly DM and SD) and a few EU made (Schaller), those GFS are juste as good if not better than some models.
I'm thinking of buying a set of Crusader for the baritone neck and move the Loudmouth to the standard neck, so it'll be fully GFS equiped :D
Anyone tried their onboard preamp?

Archived