I thought I was going crazy...

• Members

So, I bounced down a tune to MP3 in Pro Tools LE, and was going to send it to a friend to listen to. But before I did I ducked into my office and listened to it on my home computer via the network. Just part of checking on on different systems, right?

It sounded awful. No high end, very bass-heavy, the balance was off ... :cry:

So I go back to the studio and it sounds great. I'm pretty confused at this point. In my studio room I'm switching back and forth between ADAM A7 and Avantone Mixcube monitors, checking in stereo and mono, and everything's fine. Not radio-ready but pretty decent for a quick mix, anyway.

Back in the office - still awful.

I check the mix on my stereo system (I have a computer hooked up in the living room to record TV shows) and it sounds fine.

I check it in headphones and it sounds fine.

So, confused, I just leave it alone for the night and figure I'll get it solved tomorrow.

Today I walk into the office and realize that the little satellite speaker for the mids/highs on the left side had fallen behind the filing cabinet. :facepalm: Which explains why it sounded so awful.

I guess the moral of this story is, it isn't always something that needs to be fixed in the mix. :D

Archived