You're safe with Paypal

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Moderators

Here is a reult of a dispute with a trader with a 100% feedback record of about 150 transactions.

I love the last line

"After careful review, we have concluded our investigation of the Buyer

Complaint described below.

We have decided in your favour, however, we were unable to recover any

funds from the seller's account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement,

recovery of funds associated with a Buyer Complaint cannot be guaranteed.

Please know that we will make our best effort to recover the funds in

question if they become available in the seller's account in the future,

and will take appropriate action against the seller. Such action may

include issuing a warning, a temporary restriction, or terminating the

account. Keep in mind that PayPal uses a number of factors, including

member complaints, to determine when to take action. Due to privacy laws,

we cannot discuss the details of any action taken. We hope you understand

our policy and that it reassures you that you are safe using PayPal.":mad:

• Members

That sucks. But, I don't know what you want Pay Pal to do. They aren't a collection agency and I'm pretty sure they aren't an insurance company. I sympathize but I don't see a reasonable solution. As a seller, I don't want to have to be bonded or have my funds put at the whim of Pay Pal, just in case they decide in the other guy's favor.

Edited to change to sad face.

• Members

Enlighten me, why DO people even use Paypal? Every time I use eBay I pay with wire transfer and so far it's been safe. I'd imagine in a case of fraud getting your money back by dealing with your bank would be easier than using something like Paypal.

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

Enlighten me, why DO people even use Paypal? Every time I use eBay I pay with wire transfer and so far it's been safe. I'd imagine in a case of fraud getting your money back by dealing with your bank would be easier than using something like Paypal.

Because bank-to-bank wire transfers are rarely used in the US and are typically expensive, $10+ per transaction at most US banks.

• Moderators

Originally posted by LaXu

I think it's because in different countries different systems have been embraced and seen as secure. Direct transfer between accounts would seem to be the best way forward and easy to execute through online banking. I think Paypal has pushed itself to be so easy, secure and convenient that especially in the UK it is the preferred choice. People think that by handing out account numbers and sort codes that any Tom, Dick or Harry can access your account.

• Members

Originally posted by Fosse Fox

We have decided in your favour, however, we were unable to recover any

funds from the seller's account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement,

recovery of funds associated with a Buyer Complaint cannot be guaranteed.

Did you pay with a credit card? If so, file for a chargeback with them, telling them that you won the complaint with PayPal but that they refused to refund. You'll get your money back then. Otherwise, your money is gone. Depending on the sitiuation, you may be able to file federal mail or wire fraud charges against the seller. PayPal will probably send your seller to collections at some point but you won't see anything from this.

My suggestion on PayPal as a buyer is to always fund your purchases with a credit card so that you not only get PayPal coverage but your credit card company's protection as well. The exception to this would be small purchases you don't mind taking a risk on.

As a seller, take PayPal only for the amount you're willing to risk. You also need to follow PayPal's rules in order to be protected. If you don't want to do this, take money orders only.

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Duice

If you have a dispute with Paypal does your credit card issuer reclaim your money from them?

I did this through my bank when I was foolish enough to use my debit card on Pay Pal. They put the money back in my account and later they said they'd decided in my favor. I suggest using a dedicated bank account and credit card if you do a lot of Pay Pal transactions.

Archived