How to polish a turd to a high gloss shine! (SJM content)

luke978

• Members

Originally posted by luke978

Well I already aquired the pickups about a year and a half ago from a friend so they have been collecting dust since then.

I installed the pickups with the original electronics while waiting on parts and while they were more articulate and cut down on noise they were a bit more mellow and bassy. Also the original tone pot started working at about 4 instead of the full range.

While I agree that it was a shotgun approach, my goals were to reduce humm, smooth the frets and use the the duncans. Goals met.

Nothing left to do but enjoy it now!

PS - I gave the frets the steel wool polish treatment, helped feel alot.

• Members

You forgot the most critical thing. You need to replace that sloppy bridge that has posts too small for the holes. It will never stay in tune.

Buy a roller bridge and mount the sleeves that the posts go into with epoxy.

Then it wil stay in tune and not slop around on you when you hit the whammy.de_1.JPG

• Members
Originally posted by guitarcapo

You forgot the most critical thing. You need to replace that sloppy bridge that has posts too small for the holes. It will never stay in tune.

Buy a roller bridge and mount the sleeves that the posts go into with epoxy.

Then it wil stay in tune and not slop around on you when you hit the whammy.
de_1.JPG

it's supposed to slop around so it moves and returns to tune when you use the trem. you can just wrap the posts with tape or put wax in there

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

it's supposed to slop around so it moves and returns to tune when you use the trem. you can just wrap the posts with tape or put wax in there

It's also supposed to be on a coupla hardened steel, fine pointed pivot-points.

My guess is that detail may have been missed...

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

Did you do anything for the neck or is that how it came? Looks pretty darn good, at least from the pics, if thats stock.

The only thing I did was ues a Dremmel and some polishing rouge for the frets. The tint and finish is stock.

Archived