Recording With A Mixer?

• Members

Hi Everyone!

I am setting up a little project studio in my room. My plan is too buy a Digi 003 Interface and an iMac. But my question is: Is it possible to record a full band with everything running into a 8 channel mixer and then some how using the Interface with the iMac to record through Pro Tools. I am wonder how and if it can be done?

Thanks

• Members

It can be done if you're recording the room, with minimal mics; which might be tricky if you have a singer...feedback problems and stuff. My suggestion is to get a 16 or 24 track mixer to allow you to record multiple sources at once, by going direct to channel on the mixer and then overdub in vocals. That way you get the sound of the band, as a cohesive unit, but not the feedback from a singer and his amp...or any other mics that may cause feedback. Once you get your protools rig, study up in how it's used, there are usually application guides that show examples of how you can hook it up to other equipment to get the desired result. It gets complicated the more people you try to record at once, hence the suggestion to bring in as many sources as possible into a mixer first.Then take the mixer's output into your interface.You'll figure it out...

• Members

Be aware that you must connect your mixer to the interface. You can certainly use the mixer to sub mix the band down to two outputs, but that removes any ability to mix individual tracks later.

You could, for example, sub mix the drums to stereo with the mixer and then use two channels of your interface for those drum tracks while you use the other channels of your interface for everything else.

Archived