jazzmaster help?

valued customer

• Members

jazzmaster question - 2 of em actually :

posted this on the effects board, but thought I'd try here too...

this thread got me thinking about my JM: a beaten but unbowed 67 which has been in semi-hibernation for a while. ( needs a new nut and the electronics cleaned up...for starters)

but I noticed something the other day that sort of embarassed me a bit -- that is, when I played another jazzmaster at a GC, I saw and felt -- I guess for the first time -- how the floating tremolo is *supposed* to work: you can pull up on it as well as down...

all these years, I (inadvertently) had mine set up so it ould only be bent down. (jeez, and I bought it to pretend I was tom verlaine, duh.)

so after seeing how the thing is *supposed* to work, i came home and thought "well, this weirdo locking button (the one you're supposed to use if you break a string -- according to the JM "literature" --well, that must be the culprit -- it must be in the locked position on mine. So i tried to push it back, up...thing wouldn;t budge for love or money.

so I'm wondering what the dealio is on mine. does anyone have an opinion on what might be the trouble? do you think i can switch the button if i take the strings off and release some tension? or am I going to need to get out the screwdriver and get under the covers with this thing?

oh yeah, the other thing i noticed was that the MIJ one I was playing had a much longer and lower whammy -- when i've ordered replacements (from all parts I think) i get what appears to me to be a shorter version than what the vintage spec was. any ideas on sources for the right (longer, down-angled) whammy?

thanks for any/all help you can supply

:p

• Members

thanks much for the link.

With the Q&A info, I got the button to move... but my bridge is still not "floating." on effects forum I was told I have to remove the plate to loosen the spring. if you have any insight on that procedure please lead on -- otherwise, thanks again for the help thus far.

Archived