62 Custom Shop RI

tamlyn1

• Members

I ordered a 2006 Custom Shop NOS Reissue (Time Machine). I always wanted one in sonic blue, like the Beatles but they didn't offer it as a color.(Johns Strat was made on Dec 11 1961 so it was essentially a 62 model)

I had the dealer call and ask and we both expected the ususal reply that it would have to be handled as a 1 off blah blah blah, But they didn't, they told him yes but $300 more. I ordered it.

Two of the guys in his store wanted to do the same thing but were told no, it would have to be a one off and got yidiculous price quotes.

Well mine came in, it is sonic blue and no surprises with the price, the dealer said they only did it to honor the misquote.

So to my knowledge this is the only one made,.

My question is this, do you think this being a mistake and the only NOS sonic Blue 62 made this year (they did make sonic blue closet classics and relics) make this more collectable?

• Members

Originally posted by tamlyn1

I ordered a 2006 Custom Shop NOS Reissue (Time Machine). I always wanted one in sonic blue, like the Beatles but they didn't offer it as a color.(Johns Strat was made on Dec 11 1961 so it was essentially a 62 model)

I had the dealer call and ask and we both expected the ususal reply that it would have to be handled as a 1 off blah blah blah, But they didn't, they told him yes but $300 more. I ordered it.

Two of the guys in his store wanted to do the same thing but were told no, it would have to be a one off and got yidiculous price quotes.

Well mine came in, it is sonic blue and no surprises with the price, the dealer said they only did it to honor the misquote.

So to my knowledge this is the only one made,.

My question is this, do you think this being a mistake and the only NOS sonic Blue 62 made this year (they did make sonic blue closet classics and relics) make this more collectable?

Yep. I think Fender Custom Shop Time Machine guitars are collectible, in general, and since yours is a one off, you've definitely got something special.

The Time Machine Strats are some of the best sounding guitars around. They are made the way all strats should be, with the correct materials, pickups, finishes, and hardware. It's too bad that you have to go thru the Custom Shop to get a real strat, but once you've lived with one for awhile, you won't be able to bring yourself to playing anything else.

• Members

Oh I agree about the Time Machines, I have a 54 Twisted Tele(team built) and a 50th Anniversary 54 masterbuilt strat, and they are magnificent instruments. I remember them sounding like these do when I was a kid. I have several newer American Deluxe and Standard Fenders (USA) and they just don't come close to what a real strat or tele sounded like much less any of the imports.

Tami

• Members

Oh I agree about the Time Machines, I have a 54 Twisted Tele(team built) and a 50th Anniversary 54 masterbuilt strat, and they are magnificent instruments. I remember them sounding like these do when I was a kid. I have several newer American Deluxe and Standard Fenders (USA) and they just don't come close to what a real strat or tele sounded like much less any of the imports.

Tami

I have an '00 Am Series Strat that sounds like it has a wet blanket over the strings when I put it up next to my 56 NOS Ash bodied Strat.

I also have an amazing 1986 Tele. It was one of the first '52 reissues to come out of the new Corona plant and Fender was only making a handful of guitars a month at the time. They wanted those first teles and strats to set the tone of the new company and the new plant.

• Members

Originally posted by docjeffrey

I have an '00 Am Series Strat that sounds like it has a wet blanket over the strings when I put it up next to my 56 NOS Ash bodied Strat.

I also have an amazing 1986 Tele. It was one of the first '52 reissues to come out of the new Corona plant and Fender was only making a handful of guitars a month at the time. They wanted those first teles and strats to set the tone of the new company and the new plant.

:thu:

and

:thu:

To the OP: Heck yes! Factory one-offs with documentation are apt to become more desirable than the rank and file. Look at the vintage market; rare original factory finishes demand a premium.

• Members

It could, but I doubt it.

RIght now it may be worth a little more on the second-hand market. THough with the flood of Sonic Blue Thin-Skin '62 RI this year, I think most SOnic Blue seekers will be kept satisfied. And, obviously others can custom order their sSonic Blue ones also (though at more $$$ than yours, which makes yours a bargain).

But, don't think that Sonic Blue will stay out of their CS palette forever. If it is used as a standard color next year or the next, the only thing that makes yours different will be the year of manufacture, and to most buyers, they aren't going to pay more for a 2006 Sonic Blue NOS than for a 2008 (or 2004 or that matter) just because it wasn't a standard color in 2006.

This ins't like a one-off 1961 Strat or something. The fact is Fender makes more than enough of these guitars every year to hold over the first-hand market, and there will always be a surplus to satisfy the smaller 2nd hand one. So, I wouldn't rely on a modern CS Fender to pay for your kids college or anything.

Archived