How much to pay for used Warmoth???

madgrinder7

• Members

I found a Warmoth Strat in a local pawn shop for $290. It has a very pretty flame maple neck with extra-jumbo frets and a two-point Strat trem. It is rear-routed with two singles and a humbucker (brand unknown). I played it unplugged and it feels nice, but feels like it needs some 10's and a setup. They didn't have an amp for me to plug into.

Now the bad: some idiot painted it with red spraypaint very poorly... they didn't fill the grain and it has runs AND orange peel (I don't even know how that's possible).

I have some guitar-refinishing experience and enjoy the work, but is $290 too much to pay for a project?

• Members
Originally posted by madgrinder7

I found a Warmoth Strat in a local pawn shop for $290. It has a very pretty flame maple neck with extra-jumbo frets and a two-point Strat trem. It is rear-routed with two singles and a humbucker (brand unknown). I played it unplugged and it feels nice, but feels like it needs some 10's and a setup. They didn't have an amp for me to plug into.

Now the bad: some idiot painted it with red spraypaint very poorly... they didn't fill the grain and it has runs AND orange peel (I don't even know how that's possible).

I have some guitar-refinishing experience and enjoy the work, but is $290 too much to pay for a project?

If the neck is nice and the hardware & pickups are usable, I don't think it's a bad deal at all. Just a finished neck new from Warmoth can run >$200.

If you like the idea of a painting project . . . I say go for it! :cool:

• Members

Parts guitars can be a crap shoot, since it depends on how well it's put together. Warmoth makes great stuff, though, and I have 2 Warmoth parts guitars.

Parts guitars generally do not have good resale, due to no manufacturer, and there's no telling what you get. But $290 sounds like a very good price.

If things are really well made, if you have fancy woods and all, a used Warmoth could be worth about $1000, but I don't think I'd pay more than that. If it's a plain jane Strat clone, somewhere around $500 would probably be about right.

Archived