Anyone want to master a song?

• Members

I'm an engineer looking for some other options for clients to send mixes to. I do a better job mastering than all of the local studios, and i'm sick of mastering my own mixes.

I took a clip of my most recent project, which happens to be my band, and sent it to a couple bigger name studios, and would like to get some cheaper alternatives to them. Any of you that would like to do a test master, or know of a cheaper studio to send for a sample, please let me know, or just repost the song.

I've been sending mp3's for these tests, and will compile them all into a post when I get them all back.

Here is the song unmastered:

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=27806

• Members

I would work on the mix first. It sounds way too muddy to touch at this point IMO.

What would you do to the mix? The only thing i hear is too much midrange in the guitars and not enough in the vox. Also the overheads could come up a touch. I suppose one could translate that as muddy. If you are saying that this is unmasterable, you are sorely mistaken, compared to almost all of the projects i've been sent for mastering this mix is a cut above. Not to say that the mix is amazing, but moreso that nobody is sending me good mixes.

• Members

What would you do to the mix? The only thing i hear is too much midrange in the guitars and not enough in the vox. Also the overheads could come up a touch. I suppose one could translate that as muddy. If you are saying that this is unmasterable, you are sorely mistaken, compared to almost all of the projects i've been sent for mastering this mix is a cut above. Not to say that the mix is amazing, but moreso that nobody is sending me good mixes.

Too much midrange and volume on the guitars, and not enough on the vocals, yes. Too much frequency overlap overall. It needs a lot more clarity and separation. As far as it being unmasterable, it's a matter of opinion. Yeah it could be mastered, like putting a band-aid over the problem, but it will never sound great.

I think a lot of rock mixes out there could be more clear, but the standard hasn't been that high until recently when people are paying attention to the quality of hip hop and electronic music that's currently popular. I think a lot of those tracks set the standard for where clarity of sound should be. I just didn't think it was worth the time to work with as I couldn't get a result that I would be happy with given the mix.

• Members

Still way too low, it's just mixed low to begin with. Maybe he can transfer you the project and you mix it too? cause the vocals on a metal song or any aggressive music need to be up front and "In your face" sounds like a mouse whispering ATM. The vocals are good quality just way, way too low.

You can't fix that in mastering, you need a better mix to work with.

Archived