Am deluxe strat tone

geng

• Members

I have American deluxe stratocaster v-neck with Samarian Cobalt pickups and S-1 switching system. I rarely use the S-1 switch and have problem because the low notes are so boomy and the treble notes are so trebly-piercing. My musicman axis Sport has thicker tone, more bass and just as much treble without this bassboomy/treble problem at all. Is it the pickups? Or is it the strat? Should I replace pickups? Or sell my strat?

• Members

The S-1 is a crap gimmick. It doesn't mimmick a tight humbucker, it just adds inarticulate flub.:freak:

When I had my Am. Dlx., I never used it. I however, did love all the other pickup settings.........

Untill I played it next to a real EJ strat.:love:

• Moderators
Originally posted by Rich

Untill I played it next to a real EJ strat.
:love:

OK, OK, I'm {censored}ing sick to the back teeth of this...................tell me..............please??............on the basis that practically all Strats are equal in terms of wood and hardware, why do all EJ owners start squirting cum everywhere when they refer to their EJs? I take it it must be the pups and electronics.............take the neck out of the equation as necks are personal, but could you try and explain why this particular guitar gets so many plaudits?....I'm just gonna lie down for a few minutes:D

• Members

It is the pickups. S1 switching can be useful, but the pickups are {censored}. If you want noiseless, I like Kinmans. If noise isn't an issue, the world is your oyster for good single coils. Keep the S-1 switch with whatever you choose. You may not use it much, but it's a nice little gimmick at least.

• Members
Originally posted by geng

So you think I should consider change pickups? Swap the Scn pickups and install kinman?

Or sell my deluxe and get EJ strat???

The SMC pickups sound better distorted and compress up way more than the EJ pickups. The Am. Dlx. is a good strat, but it's pickups do not do a very good job of approximating the underwound sound that you get from origional style strat pickups like those on the EJ.:)

• Members

Originally posted by Ratae Coritanorum

OK, OK, I'm {censored}ing sick to the back teeth of this...................tell me..............please??............on the basis that practically all Strats are equal in terms of wood and hardware, why do all EJ owners start squirting cum everywhere when they refer to their EJs? I take it it must be the pups and electronics.............take the neck out of the equation as necks are personal, but could you try and explain why this particular guitar gets so many plaudits?....I'm just gonna lie down for a few minutes:D

LOL - this is great !!!!

• Members

I like my two Deluxe strats. (one ash/ebony the other alder/maple)

But I hear what you are saying about the "boomy" But I like it. Mimics HB tone surprisingly well IMO.

I also wish people (including my stepson) would quit saying how great EJ strats are. I just bought a few strats this year, including an SRV and these threads are making me think I "F'd" up not getting the EJ. But then I console myself that my playing is not deserving of an EJ. :o

Maybe I'll sell some gear someday to pursue this holy grail. :idea:

Got a another strat arriving today. A new chrome silver American Series HSS for $699.95! Also w S-Switching.

I'm a junkie! :eek:

• Members

Yeah im wondering about this aswell (altough im not quiet so worked up about it). What pickups do they have in them then? What makes them so loved by those that play them?

• Members

The EJ has some of the glassiest, articulate pickups in it I have ever owned. I owned an Am Dlx, and it just doesn't compare to the EJ. Maybe it's the quartersawn neck, lightweight two piece body and the underwound pickups, but it's an entirely different guitar than my Am Dlx was.:thu:

• Members

If you know what you're doing the S1 switch can be useful, you can't just turn it on and expect humbucker tone - I sure as hell don't, but you get more tones that (again if you know what the hell you're doing) can be very useful.

I think the SCN's are great.

Comparing it to an EJ is like apples and oranges. The EJ has true single coils for one, and fender made like 16 or so sets of pickups before EJ was even happy. The thing is, they did all that work for him and some people still don't like them --- that shows you exactly how much of a personal thing pickup preference is.

By the way I have the v neck as well and almost traded it off for the EJ. My deluxe just had some set up problems that luckly I've been able to get fixed (finally!)

• Members

Isn't there also something about the pickups being direct mounted (i.e. not floating) to the body on the EJ? I believe that contributes to the tone as well.

Plus it's also a 6-pt trem which I understand is considered by some to be a better tone setup than the 2 pt fulcrum.

• Members

Is it possible that I have lower the pickups to much from the strings? Should I get it closer to the strings? Will I lose sustain if I do so?

I like my strat - the only thing I'm not satisfied with is this extra contrast. I like soloing, lets say, from E1, 12th fret to E6 (lowest) but need to switch to the bridge pickup when I go for that low E. I dont

• Members
Originally posted by geng

Is it possible that I have lower the pickups to much from the strings? Should I get it closer to the strings? Will I lose sustain if I do so?

I like my strat - the only thing I'm not satisfied with is this extra contrast. I like soloing, lets say, from E1, 12th fret to E6 (lowest) but need to switch to the bridge pickup when I go for that low E. I dont

• Members

^^

You are the 100th person in the last couple weeks to make a statement like that :D I was one of them!! I've actually made it a couple times. I've decided I'd really regret it if I did that. One day I'll have an EJ though! I'll just wait till I can afford one, then I'll have both guitars and be happy.... for awhile anyways ;)

• Members
Originally posted by StratAttackJack

^^

You are the 100th person in the last couple weeks to make a statement like that
:D
I was one of them!! I've actually made it a couple times. I've decided I'd really regret it if I did that. One day I'll have an EJ though! I'll just wait till I can afford one, then I'll have both guitars and be happy.... for awhile anyways
;)

I hear you, I actualy dont think the SCN are that bad. I have a Custom shop showmaster that has two Fat 50's and have compared the tone. The s-1 is a nice addition.

• Members

The Eric Johnson Strat is the best production Fender Strat out today. Every one I've played has been nothing short of amazing.

I swear its the neck radius and the nitrocellulouse. The Gibson players are drawn to that neck, and the nitro paint just makes it sing.

If I were in the market for a Strat, without hesitation I would pick up a white one.

Fender_EricJohnson_white_fullfront.jpg

Jeeeeez.

• Members

Ok, I'll back off a little from what I said before. The scns are not {censored} pickups, and definitely fool around with pickup heights before giving up on them. However, if you're adjusting them to track down the sound of a classic fender, they don't have it. If noise isn't a big deal, there are much better pickups, even by Fender. And if it is, I think there are much better, more traditional sounding singles from other companies.
But I do like S-1 switching.

• Moderators

Originally posted by TomVanDeven

I swear its the neck radius and the nitrocellulouse. The Gibson players are drawn to that neck, and the nitro paint just makes it sing.

Paint does not a guitar make....as it's an electrical guitar, it'll be the electricals/pickups...nothing else, the rest is the same as millions of other guitars.

• Members

Don't trade your Am Dlx guitars in, with the notion that the EJ will sound like them. It will not. It is a very rude and articulate guitar, and will expose sloppy playing. You will not be able to hide behid gain with the EJ.:o

Oh and my EJ's pickups are not noisless.:o

• Members

Paint does not a guitar make....as it's an electrical guitar, it'll be the electricals/pickups...nothing else, the rest is the same as millions of other guitars.

Of course it doesn't "make" the guitar. It just contributes to its tone, as well as the electronics.

Archived