Elixirs on electric

JimH

• Members
Originally posted by dewees

I'm gonna have to try them again - So it's the nanoweb that's the newer formulation? I'll try that. I liked the sound on my acousatics but I didn't like the way they'd start sloughing off Elixer dandruff.

I especially liked the reduction of string noise.

That was my experience too. Starting shredding from my pick.
"Ew - your guitar has dandruff!"
:)

• Members
Originally posted by Jimi Ray Halen

That was my experience too. Starting shredding from my pick.

"Ew - your guitar has dandruff!"

:)

True -- I have the older polyweb Elixers on my bass and they did get kinda fuzzy. Still sound and play great, though. And easier on the frets than Rotosounds.

• Members

No, you'll have a cheap Chinese acoustic that FEELS great and still sounds like {censored}.....

Point taken, but I really don't agree. I'd love to be able to record it accurately but I can't. I know people come out with all this sort of crap all trhe time (that they've found THE thing that's going to change life as they know it - talking about me here) but it's made a massive difference in all departments. - however - on the acoustic sound point, I find most recorded acoustics sound really generic anyway and basically poor - it might aswell be my chinese fender as $2000 taylor or martin in a lot of cases.

• Members

Originally posted by JimH

Point taken, but I really don't agree. I'd love to be able to record it accurately but I can't. I know people come out with all this sort of crap all trhe time (that they've found THE thing that's going to change life as they know it - talking about me here) but it's made a massive difference in all departments. - however - on the acoustic sound point, I find most recorded acoustics sound really generic anyway and basically poor - it might aswell be my chinese fender as $2000 taylor or martin in a lot of cases.

I can understand a dramtic difference bringing something up a notch from, let'ssay "tinny" or "thin" to "guitar-like."

I do love my cheap guitars --- but if you can't make a distinction between a Chinese Fender and a $2,000 Taylor on a recording, there must be something wrong somewhere in the chain -- if not the guitar, then the mic or some other component.

• Members

Well I think there is something wrong - probably crappy playing .....

Well, I'll let the discussion end with your insult. Obviously, your impeccable ears and playing technique transcend the need for quality instruments and recording gear.:wave:

• Members

Well, I'll let the discussion end with your insult. Obviously, your impeccable ears and playing technique transcend the need for quality instruments and recording gear.

Eh? sorry man - I don't see who I'm insulting. Was just saying that a highly compressed and indistictly recorded strum, heavily mixed on the latest indie record (of which we have a lot in the UK) sounds just that - indistinct. Sorry if that has in some way offended you. was not intentional.

• Members

Originally posted by Goldsack

how are they for pinch harmonics or pick scrapes? any different to normal strings?

DON'T Pick-Scrape them as the coating will come off.

Eh? sorry man - I don't see who I'm insulting. Was just saying that a highly compressed and indistictly recorded strum, heavily mixed on the latest indie record (of which we have a lot in the UK) sounds just that - indistinct. Sorry if that has in some way offended you. was not intentional.

I think I understand now -- you weren't talking about quality recording and/or playing where tone matters, like an Adrian Legg CD or something. I suppose if you're going to compress the crap out of an acoustic and mix it behind a Wall of Indie, then sure, any acoustic-like timbre might fit the bill.

• Members

Originally posted by santos

Our other guitar player uses them, but he has Alien-blood sweat, so even the elixirs don't last too long for him.

My son has that skin chemistry where he kills a normal set of nickel-based strings in short order. Elixers are the only way he can keep a decent set on his guitars for any length of time.

Originally posted by Nighthawkst3

Are Blue Steel's comparible in the amount of time they last and tone? I can get them much cheaper then Elixer.

Blues Steels, IMHO, sound and feel like dog meat when compared to Elixer Nanowebs.

• Members

I think I understand now -- you weren't talking about quality recording and/or playing where tone matters, like an Adrian Legg CD or something. I suppose if you're going to compress the crap out of an acoustic and mix it behind a Wall of Indie, then sure, any acoustic-like timbre might fit the bill.

Exactly, apologies for not making that clear.

• Members

Originally posted by Nighthawkst3

Any other strings around with the life of elixers that sound comparable? I know theres quite a few coated strings out there, all different prices.

Good question: I haven't tried 'em all. This would be a really good article for Guitar Player or some other magazine. Too bad they're all too chicken {censored} (afraid of their advertisers) to do a real comparison review.

• Members

iv just put a set of elixirs on my electric. they feel better than normal strings - smoother but not too different realy. the tone seems to be no different though possibly a bit less "bite" to them. however, this may be because i have only used my guitar on an old amp i havent used for ages, not on my main one so il have to update you once iv tried that but my guess is that the tone will not be noticeably different to Daddarios which i normally use.

Archived