new guitar (built) day, my first total build

leopardstar

• Members

Originally posted by maxnew40

$300.00 for a mighty mite neck? I have never seen a mighty mite that expensive. The most expensive might mite I have seen was about $150.00 and it had birdseye. Did it have some custom work done to it that made it more expensive?

You could have gotten a very nice Warmoth or USACG neck for that price.

Max

You might want to re-read his post. The neck was $34.

• Members

Originally posted by maxnew40

$300.00 for a mighty mite neck? I have never seen a mighty mite that expensive. The most expensive might mite I have seen was about $150.00 and it had birdseye. Did it have some custom work done to it that made it more expensive?

You could have gotten a very nice Warmoth or USACG neck for that price.

Max

sorry for the confusion, what i meant was; i was comparing it to a more exspensieve neck, the neck i got was only $34:D

• Members
Originally posted by metallica_00

Yeah, the neck position itself is warmer - not necessarily the pickup. As you get closer to the bridge the area of the strings that the pickup senses gets brighter. Try picking (unplugged) near the fretboard and then near the bridge. The sound is mellower and warmer near the neck, and brighter near the bridge.

I'm not saying it won't sound good, because I've heard of people switching pickups from their intended positions with good results, but my guess is that the Mean 90 neck version is actually voiced brighter than the bridge version.

I don't know about it being voiced brighter, but my take is this (and I am not an expert so if an expert comes along don't flame me):

Bridge pups are generally wound hotter because the motion of the strings is less pronounced near the bridge. If you place a neck pickup at the bridge I would predict that in comparison the volume would be less than the same pickup installed at the neck. My guess is that the tone would still be bright, just not as loud. The other potential problem is that most of Jay's pickup designs sport wider pole spacings for bridge pickups. NOW before anyone accuses me of raining on the parade I will be the first to admit it may not even be a problem. And even if there were volume issues, they may be addressed simply by raising the bridge pickup which is a common practice anyway.

OK so enough of that because that guitar turned out sweet. Nice job Leopardstar!!:thu:

• Members

Randy - that strat body on NMS has one of the neck holes drilled right into a knot of the body wood, and it looks like it might be a little stripped. The neck/body joint is the keystone of the whole guitar, structurally speaking - I'd pass on that one.

Archived